Tips please for Sony DSC-P10(dive trip)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jetwrench

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a trip to Bonaire in February coming up and am looking for some simple tips on setting selections for my P10. I have not used it underwater yet and am not sure where to start. Keep in mind that I have no strobe or lense filters and any additional lighting would have to come from a dive light, if at all. And most of all, note that I am a photo newbie. Any help out there?

Jetwrench

Jetwrench:
I have a trip to Bonaire in February coming up and am looking for some simple tips on setting selections for my P10. I have not used it underwater yet and am not sure where to start.

The best place to start is to familiarise yourself with the camera above water first, then get yourself underwater early on in the trip on a fairly easy, shallow dive preferably with little to no current, and then click away.

The great thing about digital, is you can see the results immediately! Try not to use the zoom, and instead get closer to the subject, taking care not to cause too much silt to fly around. If the water is clear, you should be able to use the internal flash with little or no backscatter. Your alternative is a darker shot, which will turn out blue/green, but Photoshop can usually pick out some colour.

Unfortunately with the Sony's you don't get much control over what the camera is doing, but you can play with the ISO and EV settings. The only way you can really affect exposure is to the different pseudo-program mode settings.

Make sure you turn the LCD on before you put the camera in the case, because the housing doesn't allow you to press the display button! Also take great care before every ive to make sure the O-ring is seated properly.

I also suggest that you memorise the positions of the 'mode' dial, as the housing dial only has one reference point, and it can be difficult to turn it to the correct setting.

Finally, make sure you have fun with it, and don't get dis-heartened if none of your photos turn out!

Jetwrench:
I have a trip to Bonaire in February coming up and am looking for some simple tips on setting selections for my P10. I have not used it underwater yet and am not sure where to start. Keep in mind that I have no strobe or lense filters and any additional lighting would have to come from a dive light, if at all. And most of all, note that I am a photo newbie. Any help out there?

Jetwrench

Jetwrench,
I remembered a woman from Bonaire who did a lot of photo work with a Sony so I just did a Google search on "sony underwater pbase" and up popped this link to Ellen Muller who is the person I was thinking of.

http://www.pbase.com/imagine/sony_dsc_p1_underwater_images

I think she used to run a Q&A board. check it out. She has some very nice images.
TedJ

for the info. Tedj, I'm glad you found that site so I could see what is possible with my setup. froop, I'll be sure and learn all I can about the P10 before I leave and take the book with me for onsite info. I noticed the mode dial issue right off and will pay close attention. Travisc, I was wondering if a filter woud help and will look into taking one with me. I like your pics(thats what I want to bring home). Thanks for the help, everyone.

Jetwrench

If you dont mind me asking , where could I find a housing for the P-10?

-Tom

I found a Marine-Pack(MPK-PHA) at Etronics.com for much less than Sony's price

J.

Hi, I've got a DSC-P5 and have taken it to Bonaire. My suggestions; skip the filter (less light is bad thing), use the internal flash and get close, learn the camera out of the water and two tricks (power on/off and half trigger press). The Sony's have fairly limited battery life and will not do two dives on one charge if you are not very carefull with On time. The other issue is if you leave the camera on to long the heat will cause fogging. So I've learned to turn the camera off and anticipate your shot, meaning if you see a moray as your swinging around for the shot, hit the on button to let the camera boot up. The other trick to help with shutter lag is to half press the shutter to let the camera do it's settings, then final frame and press the rest of way to take the shot.

Here's the setting I use for under water, flash forced on Low (higher settings are to hot up close), macro on, and ASA to 400 (this one is subject to change depending on the amount of light).

I've been very happy with my Sony.

Cecil,
I got the filter and will try shots with and without it to see what works best. I plan on posting a new thread when I get back to share my results. I know what you mean about battery life, as I had a P-7 last year for surface shots and lost power before I was done. Stupid(me) forgot the charger at home, so I had to pack it with the lense extended(not good). Luckilly, no damage was done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom