Tips on Tips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TekDiveGirl:
I am not saying one must tip their DM/Crew -- that is a personal decision -- but to call it nothing more than a Taxi Service is pretty demeaning to some of us who are out there doing the job and taking it seriously.

Kimber
It's the type of statement made by someone who has never known the stress of working as a professional diver.

I've decked for years on 2 different boats out of Panama City FL. Tips for a 2 tank dive are usually 5-10 dollars per person for the hand. Deckhands make very little if anything from the operator, and are usually kids earning spending or college money.

The worst tippers are instructors (to my experience). They generally seem to think that everything should be free for them. Don't know where this attitude comes from, but I've seen it plenty - especially in PC.

Note to instructors - brief your students on proper tipping and lead by example! This is part of my last presentation to Basic Open Water Students before we go to the boat for certification dives.

BBP:
I've always felt awkward about tipping on a dive boat. Not that I'm bashful about showing appreciation for a job well done and good service, but I'm uncomfortable about 'the rules'.

What's appropriate for a two tank dive? (assuming of course you received good service) Do you tip your divemaster and assume it'll get shared with the crew, or do you tipthe captain?

Couple of weeks ago I tipped our divemaster twenty bucks and my dive buddy almost fell out. but it was a shore dive, there was lots of gear carried and the dive was excellently done. I'm beinig honest when I say that I don't know if it was too much, too little, or what. Just wondering what you folks think is customary.

BKB

Does that mean we should teach the divers about tipping their instructors as well?
As an instructor I dont feel that anythign should be given to me,the dive for me isnt free, I paid to be on the boat. If I bring 4 students with me, that means I contributed to the fares of 5 people. I hired out the space to do my job.
If they decide to tip because the divemaster did something special for them, or some how helped them out more. Then its up to the student to make the decision to tip or not. I certainly wont be telling them to tip.

Captain Bil:
I've decked for years on 2 different boats out of Panama City FL. Tips for a 2 tank dive are usually 5-10 dollars per person for the hand. Deckhands make very little if anything from the operator, and are usually kids earning spending or college money.

The worst tippers are instructors (to my experience). They generally seem to think that everything should be free for them. Don't know where this attitude comes from, but I've seen it plenty - especially in PC.

Note to instructors - brief your students on proper tipping and lead by example! This is part of my last presentation to Basic Open Water Students before we go to the boat for certification dives.

gjmmotors:
Does that mean we should teach the divers about tipping their instructors as well?
As an instructor I dont feel that anythign should be given to me,the dive for me isnt free, I paid to be on the boat. If I bring 4 students with me, that means I contributed to the fares of 5 people. I hired out the space to do my job.

Interesting -- most charters I know don't charge the Instructors who bring students on the boats...

A lot of Instructors I know will actually tip more because I am there to double check their students -- make sure they all get in/out ok -- I have extra weight when they aren't weighted right etc... they know that there is somebody to help out and that none of their students will jump in without some piece of gear or with their air off.

If they decide to tip because the divemaster did something special for them, or some how helped them out more. Then its up to the student to make the decision to tip or not. I certainly wont be telling them to tip.

Well when I was a student - nobody told me that tipping was customary and I felt bad that I didn't have anything to tip them (the boat has a jar where you can give tips if you so desire) as I didn't even bring my wallet with me and even so rarely carry cash. I would have liked to have known beforehand about it.

Kimber

Back
Top Bottom