Tips on sales for underwater strobes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtoyama

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey folks,

I've decided to upgrade my strobes to Inon Z330s as my YS-01s are a bit underpowered/undefeatured for my a6000 rig (doing mostly CFWA right now).

Looking for any tips on sales on new strobes so I can figure out timing the purchase:
- When do sales tend to occur for the major online retailers?
- Any other ways to get sales on strobes?
- Any sales going on right now?

I am also somewhat local to Backscatter.

Thanks,
Mike T.

I don't think I've ever seen significant discounts or sales underwater strobes. Possibly small discounts on remaining stock of discontinued models, which Z-330 most certainly is not. Best I've ever seen was three years ago, when Retra announced that they're working on a new generation of strobes and taking preorders - I got a pair of Retra Pros for 1478 euros, as opposed to 2130 euros that they would cost now. Of course I did pay the full amount in December 2018, and only got the hardware in February 2020.

Hey folks,

I've decided to upgrade my strobes to Inon Z330s as my YS-01s are a bit underpowered/undefeatured for my a6000 rig (doing mostly CFWA right now).

Looking for any tips on sales on new strobes so I can figure out timing the purchase:
- When do sales tend to occur for the major online retailers?
- Any other ways to get sales on strobes?
- Any sales going on right now?

I am also somewhat local to Backscatter.

Thanks,
Mike T.
I am not aware of any specific sales or strobe sale seasons. While shopping for an Ikelite housing and checking both Backscatter and Bluewater Photo, I stumbled on Mozaik UW Cameras at Mozaik Underwater Cameras | Housings | Strobes | Video Lights. I asked about any discounting and they offered me a 5% discount. They also do not charge state sales tax. That resulted in a 12% cost savings for me over Backscatter or Bluewater.

I just added two Z-330 II strobes and the total cost is $1233.10 with free shipping. Same products from Backscatter would be $1409.69 with shipping. For high dollar items, the cost savings can be significant. I also received order status and shipping updates for the orders I have placed.

You may want to take a look. Backscatter may even be willing to price match if they are local to you.

Brian

This is a bad time to be looking for stuff with the worldwide supply chain issues. You might perhaps have luck around Black Friday, but with just about everyone having inventory issues this year, all bets are off.

Best bet is to look used on the forums, especially on gear that is maybe 1 or 2 generations old.

For Inon, D200 type 4's, or Sea and Sea 110a's or D1's.

I was able to get a pair of 110a's for only a few hundred bucks and it gives me great power and full TTL for my A6400 rig. Yes recharge time is a little slower than current generation tech, but the cost savings was immense.

EDIT: A pair of 330's just went up on wetpixel

Thanks for the tips and the link to the used pair -- with the shipping cost the seller mentioned later on ($150) it puts the price close enough to a new pair to give me pause.

Looks like I may have to fork out full price. But maybe the market will be better for my used YS-01s.

Right now, Mozaik has the Z330s on sale at 7% off (not a huge discount, but better than full price). They are regularly $699 and are on sale for $649 USD.

Right now, Mozaik has the Z330s on sale at 7% off (not a huge discount, but better than full price). They are regularly $699 and are on sale for $649 USD.
That's actually Mozaik engaging in deceptive pricing - mark an item up, then put a 'discount' on it. All the usual suspects are selling them for $650.

That's actually Mozaik engaging in deceptive pricing - mark an item up, then put a 'discount' on it. All the usual suspects are selling them for $650.

Sorry. My intent was not to mislead the OP. Given this info, and the OP's proximity to Backscatter, I would recommend he drop in to Backscatter one day and talk to them and see if maybe they have a lower cost option that might be the "95% solution".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom