Tips on Lowering Air Consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just dive and have fun; all that other stuff will come.

Here's a question about trim:

I just took the plunge and bought all of my scuba gear. If my jacket style BC has me in a slight heads up position, what can I do to level myself out?

cirwin:
Here's a question about trim:

I just took the plunge and bought all of my scuba gear. If my jacket style BC has me in a slight heads up position, what can I do to level myself out?

Try moving your weights around, moving your cylinder higher, put some weight on your upper tank band, etc.

merxlin:
How does one stop breathing for a 5 count without holding their breath? Does this refer to keeping the airway open just without inhaling?

Looking through all these threads, I didn't notice if this question from Merxlin was ever addressed.

Yes, that is exactly what they are saying. Extremely important to not close the airway if you pause your breathing. I've heard it expained as an "H" sound versus a "K" sound. If this is in any way unclear to you then, don't try it!.

Another way that I conserve air is to orally inflate my BC whenever at the surface.

Just my 2 psi.

Steve

Also note the warning in that discussion about skip breathing. They said that doing this incorrectly could lead to skip breathing, which causes hypercapnia (excessive CO2) and headaches. Actually, I can't tell the difference between a breathing pattern that includes "stop breathing" and skip breathing. Even if this isn't actually skip breathing, it is close enough that there would be substantial risk of hypercapnia. Most instructors would recommend a slow, deep, continuous breathing pattern. Exhaling fully is usually the key to this breathing pattern.

Learn to meditate and relax. Next, mix that sort of mind state with some easy dives to practice the routine of relaxing with your gear but being conscious of checking the necessities. I'm not saying you'll win the lotto, but I bet you'll see improvements. :)

cirwin:
Hi All,

I am a new diver (a dozen logged dives), and I tend to go through my air pretty quickly. I know none of you are suriprised to hear this, but on an aluminum 80 (the local shop fills to 2700 psi) at 30 feet, I am down to 500 psi in about 35 minutes. My dive instructor claims he can get 2 hours out of the same setup and the same conditions. I have no idea if he is full of it or not, but I am wondering if any of you have any tips for me. Here is some other info about me:

I believe that I am properly weighted
I don't have hoses dangling everywhere
I am not nervous underwater, and I feel pretty relaxed

Thanks for the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom