Tips on how to sew / seal neoprene edges??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to shorten the cuff’s on my cold water dive gloves so that they only extend about ¾” over the wrist seals on my semi-dry (they currently extend 3+ inches)… Does anyone have any tips on how to sew or seal the cut edges so that they remain flexible, but keep the backing material from separating from the neoprene core?? For what it’s worth, I have access to both a traditional sewing machine and a Serger (overlock) machine….

I’m thinking the Serger may be my best option, but was hoping someone could confirm that and enlighten me as to what kind of thread I should use (or sugegst a better idea).... I'm also wondering if I need to “seal” the edge somehow??

Use polyestrer or nylon thread. The home machine is fine. Sew slow so as not to heat up the needle and melt the thread

I would cut it off and paint the exposed edge with neoprene cement. But I don't mind ugly dive gear.

I haven't worked on or made any neoprene dive gear (yet), but I have used neoprene in the past to make things for kayaking: Wetsuit vest and shorts, pogies, booties, sprayskirts. On none of those did I ever do anything to seal or sew raw edges when they happened to occur (which was fairly often). I never had any of the nylon fabric delaminate from the neoprene that I remember (tho it has been awhile, admittedly - has anyone else experienced it?).

That's not to say you might not prefer a more "finished" edge of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom