Tips for Orlebar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vancouverdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,
Hope I can trouble someone for some detailed info on Orlebar, as well as recommendations for a second dive on Gabriola Island.

We are experienced divers, comfortable with drfit dives and dives with current (within reason). However, none of us have dove Orlebar - hence we are looking for info so we have a great dive!

I understand it is best to go at high slack. However, with the tides and ferries, it looks like we will be doing low slack. Is that a major issue other than additional clambering over rocks? Or if we dove Orlebar during a 1-2 ft exchange, would that be a little work, or absolutely crazy?

We take a bearing from the Point to the Island(left, center, right?). How far is the wall from the Point?
Any other tips for this site? Without seeing the site, it is a bit difficult to assess the dive plan.

Lastly, what would you recommend as a first dive on Gabriola Island, while we wait for low slack to do Orlebar?

Many thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I've done Orlebar a few hours on either side of the Dodd Narrows slack and I haven't felt that much current. ***DISCLAIMER*** "Since this is the internet, nothing I say is necessarily true".
On a day with a max current of less than 2 knots, I like to shore dive Gabriola Pass.
The wall at Orlebar is straight out from the point in the direction of Entrance Island. I'd guess the wall is about 100 meters from shore (maybe a bit less).
There are a few other Gabriola shore dives that I've been to on my website.
Orlebar:index
Gabriola Pass:index
Dragon's Lane:index
Malaspina Point:index
Roger's Reef:index
Taylor Bay:index

Hey Swankenstein, yes, I was looking at your website and it was very helpful. Actually, amazing! Thanks very much!
We're thinking of doing Malaspina Point for the first dive, and then Orlebar. It's a bit of logistical work coordinating tides and ferries. Malaspina looks like an interesting site. I've really enjoyed the island diving but this will be my first time to Gabriola. Looking forward to it!

Hey Swankenstein,
We had a beautiful dive at Orlebar. No current, easy entry/exit since the tide was still high. The wall was easy to find, and I was relieved to see it was not far from shore! Weather wasn't too bad either with the sun making an appearance. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom