Tips for managing Dive Flags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those spools are a giant PITA, I have one on mine because they are cheap, but when I boat dive we tend to use a reel. I have found my preference in this kind:
Amazon.com: Dive Rite Primary Wreck Reel 250Ft #36 Line: Sports & Outdoors

the clutch kind are nice too until the clutch wears, then they tend to get stuck. If you are getting wrapped, then you probably have too much line out. Also, try to avoid switching hands, passing it back and forth is another easy way to get your yoke tangled.

A reel like was posted about would make life a ton easier carrying the float.....that thing you posted it a giant PITA.

It has already been mentioned a few times not to clip it off to yourself......the reasons for this are 2fold.....one: in your hand you will have more control over the line and be able to keep it from getting tangled. and 2: some people on the surface don't know what dive flags are and they will bring boats/ jetskis etc over to them and there is a possibility of it either getting caught on the watercraft or them pulling it up and you getting skyrocketed to the surface before you have a chance to unclip and as divers we know that can be a very dangerous situation.

Just keep at it, it does get easier with practice!

Having used a variety of items for floats and for line holders, I offer the following:
1. Use a floating line- it can be offset by very little weight if needed.
2. A reel is easier to adjust and handle, if you have a good one.
3. Regardless of the equipment you use, you need to be attentive to the line and adjust it with depth changes. Task loading of this sort is much easier after you have done it a few times.
4. If you are subject to entanglement in the line, it is too slack. A positively buoyant line is less of an issue, but you need to be attentive to the line no matter what kind you have.
5. My favorite suggestion in all the prior posts is one I also commend to you- when possible, let someone else carry the line!
DivemasterDennis

Having used a variety of items for floats and for line holders, I offer the following:
1. Use a floating line- it can be offset by very little weight if needed.
2. A reel is easier to adjust and handle, if you have a good one.
3. Regardless of the equipment you use, you need to be attentive to the line and adjust it with depth changes. Task loading of this sort is much easier after you have done it a few times.
4. If you are subject to entanglement in the line, it is too slack. A positively buoyant line is less of an issue, but you need to be attentive to the line no matter what kind you have.
5. My favorite suggestion in all the prior posts is one I also commend to you- when possible, let someone else carry the line!
DivemasterDennis

I've never seen a reel used with floating line. Have you?

A reel like was posted about would make life a ton easier carrying the float.....that thing you posted it a giant PITA.

It has already been mentioned a few times not to clip it off to yourself......the reasons for this are 2fold.....one: in your hand you will have more control over the line and be able to keep it from getting tangled. and 2: some people on the surface don't know what dive flags are and they will bring boats/ jetskis etc over to them and there is a possibility of it either getting caught on the watercraft or them pulling it up and you getting skyrocketed to the surface before you have a chance to unclip and as divers we know that can be a very dangerous situation.

Just keep at it, it does get easier with practice!

If I may add to FoxHound's post:
I see alot of divers push their arm through the handle of the dive flag handle the OP posted. I always felt doing so was just as dangerous to clipping it off in the event that someone on the surface starts to pull on the flag line. If seen divers struggle to take their arm out in a non-emergency situation. Can you imagine trying to do so in an emergency.

I personally keep the flag unclipped and out in front holding on with two hands. As a new diver keeping it out in front and working on staying horizontal is helping me with my diving qi (chi?).

I'd need to get my hands on it - I'm having questions of durability - in particular, anything plastic that folds....

FWIW - I don't get the problems folks have with the OP's original line holder....

Saw a DM using one on a drift dive seemed nice, easy to use and small, decided to take a closer look and for 10 bucks I figured what the hell. Like I said haven't used it yet but seems pretty soild for plastic, not so sure about the line. But I think I'm sure to break it someday since I break everything (I'd be a good tester for things like that). But think it might hold up for a few seasons of heavy diving.

Thanks for all the helpful posts, guys. Going to plan my next dive soon and I'll try to put a few of the suggestions to use!

To the OP:

I agree with what several have said regarding the big, yellow winder: ditch it. They're big and bulky when compared to other options, and you can only play out line in sections that match the length of a half wrap on the winder (6" or so, possibly double depending on how you secure the line to maintain tension). Slightly 'floaty' rope is only helpful if you have too much of it played out, which you should never do anyways.

Regarding the 100' finger spool with the special yellow, folding winder knob thingie:

Had one. I wound up popping the winder thingie out from the spool, and trashing it. Finger spools are simple to use, IF you understand how to use them properly. It's not as intuitive as some people think. The winder thingie just complicates things.

If I was only ever going to be tying off a flag at a dive site (not towing one) I'd just keep a dedicated finger spool with the flag. In my area, however, there are some dive sites where it's much safer and reasonable to take the flag with you. These are (in my area) shore sites with multilevel profiles. Because of this, we use a reel. Not a high quality reel that's appropriate for navigation or overhead diving, but a relatively inexpensive one like this: Ratchet Dive Reel, Yellow
We secure a small SS bolt snap to the end of the line, and simply clip to the bottom part of the flag's shaft. Having the small bolt snap also helps in carrying the flag to/from the shore site. Attach the reel to your hip d-ring. Upright the flag. The shaft weight will cause the bolt snap to rest directly against the float, making the flag stay upright and off the ground as you're walking. Helpful if you have to climb over rocks, or carry other equipment to the water.

I'll dive with the reel in my right hand, with my thumb next to the release lever. Super easy to play out a couple of feet at a time as you descend. The fact that the reel self-locks every couple of inches is nice when you're ascending and cranking it back in. I've had no issues with one of these jamming - as long as appropriate tension is maintained. Also, make sure that there's not too much line on the spool. Most of them come over-wound: It helps if you remove about 20' or so of line.

Above all else: practice. Flag bearing can be a fairly time-consuming activity, depending of the site. Learning to maintain appropriate tension on the line while ascending is important. Too much slack, and you're swimming in a large bird's nest of line.

Carl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom