Tips for getting some of the blue out? (digital, Picasa)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Photoshop is a geat tool and if you're planning to get into photography it may be worth spending the money.

The quick fixes include (By Image I mean the drop down menu from the top)
Image>Adjustments> Auto Levels
Image>Adjustments> Auto Color
Image>Adjustments> Auto Contrast

If you want to spend some time you can try the manual adjustments:
Image>Adjustments>Levels
Image>Adjustments>Curves
Image>Adjustments>Color Balance
Image>Adjustments>Hue & Saturation
Image>Adjustments>Brightness & Contrast

There are also some photo filters where you can try and add reds etc into the photo
Image>Adjustments>Photo Filters

Just a little tweak here and there with all of these options work really well to get your photos looking great. You may require a good book or a couple of online tutorials to get things going.

I'm not sure what other programs are out there but you can always try www.tucows.com to find some image editing software thats free then do a google search for some tutorials.

Good Luck with your Pics.

Great! Thanks for all the tips!

rottielover:
Hi all,

On my trip to Maui I took my Sealife 2 mega pixal cam down with me. When I used the external strobe on my first couple of dives, it worked great, nice color's etc.

On our scooter dive, I didn't want the added bulk of the strobe, so I took the strobe off and used just the camera in the housing, and of course all my pictures are BLUE!

I'm trying to figure out the best way to try and remove some of the blue in the photo, while bringing the other color's (yellow's pinks) out more. I'm using Google's Picasa software, and so far I've done a fair ammount of playing with it, but I still can't seem to get it right.

I know that Kodak has a service for film camera's called "Sea Processing", does anyone know if they do Digitals? Does anyone have any tips for getting some of the blue out with Picasa or another software?

Thanks

First you don't want to take the blue out (it is there). What you want to do is remember how colors are absorbed as you dive down, in the order of the rainbow (roygbiv). Depending on your depth you can usually get decent results by not removing color but adding in the absorbed colors. Use the color boost that comes with most decent editing programs. Boost your reds a little till they look right to you. This actually works decent down to about 60 feet. If you need more colors, depending on your program, start boosting the colors in the same sequence that they dissappear in with depth. I have started playing with this and it works pretty good.

rockjock3:
First you don't want to take the blue out (it is there). What you want to do is remember how colors are absorbed as you dive down, in the order of the rainbow (roygbiv). Depending on your depth you can usually get decent results by not removing color but adding in the absorbed colors. Use the color boost that comes with most decent editing programs. Boost your reds a little till they look right to you. This actually works decent down to about 60 feet. If you need more colors, depending on your program, start boosting the colors in the same sequence that they dissappear in with depth. I have started playing with this and it works pretty good.

A strobe is the answer, without it you will have a myriad problems. You simply cannot have good photos without a good strobe. Name one pro-photographer that doesn't use on. It is extra weight, extra drag, and extra equipment neccessary for good pics.

caymaniac:
A strobe is the answer, without it you will have a myriad problems. You simply cannot have good photos without a good strobe. Name one pro-photographer that doesn't use on. It is extra weight, extra drag, and extra equipment neccessary for good pics.

This is an exaggeration if you ask me. I'm sure pro's use them and i'm also sure that most pro's use DSLR monsters that cost thousands of dollars. I agree they give you more potential to take pics but i dove with my camera for 50 or so dives before recently getting a strobe. I got by fine with the internal strobe for macro (very close within 1ft) and using available light. Saying "You simply cannot have good photos without a good strobe" is just wrong...i guess depending on what you consider good.

Take in RAW if your camera has it or set white balance often while under and you can pull colors out of pics without a strobe.

examples without a strobe:

31390415-S.jpg

31850856-S.jpg

36960627-S.jpg

I'm not trying to sell pics or anything but i liked the results i got.

Also this is an example of before and after picture. I took this in RAW and adjusted whitebalance and used auto levels.

before:
43550424-M.jpg

after:
43550689-M.jpg

Chris

Hi Monkey- Chris.
Could you explain the procedure?
whitebalance and used auto levels with which program.
I just bought a housing for my coolpix, and got back from a trip to the Red Sea.
Took a lot of pictures, and some of them are nice.
Several ones are like your turtle. What did you do exactly.
thnx
ciao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom