Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also believe that everyone should be paid a "fair" salary...

And who defines "fair"? What is "fair" to Trudeau will kill your economy. I like a tip based system because it creates an incentive to do a better job. Otherwise, we end up with a Soviet style economy where nobody gives a sheet about anything or anybody (except themselves). Being paid for merit is better than being paid for existence.

Let the market set the policy. I got a haircut (singular--I am almost completely bald). I gave a 25% tip. The barber always does a good job and remembers my face when I walk in. She does not ask what style of haircut I want, she knows. It is a lovely system.

When someone says it aint about the money, it always is, especially someone who advocates for fairness.

Easy come, easy go. Just give the wait person (or barber, and etc) a healthy tip so they can have a good day. It is a horrible job; be nice to them. I don't care what your culture is.

cheers,
markm

I've received as good a service or better, in non-tipping cultures.

I've received crappy service and was still expected to tip in tipping cultures.

Your premise is not correct. That is how it should work and perhaps it does at times but definitely not all the time.

If you are a solo diver on a dive boat with a dm, captain, and marinero, how much do you tip each day? How much if it is a multiday? I have, in the past, tipped $50 per day for all of them. Is this miserly or egregious. This is in Maya Riviera.

I always also bring down beef jerky and other little gifts from leisure pro as well as acting as a mule for the dive shop when they need stuff. Working within walking distance of Leisure Pro is a boon and a bane.

I think everyone got a little off topic here as we are want to do on SB. In Islam, we have a responsibility to perform sadaqua on a daily basis. Sadaqua is an act of kindness whether it is monetary, action, or even just a smile. Acknowledging the homeless guy that stands on the corner is sadaqua, buying them a meal, hugging someone who is in distress, paying for the coffee of the guy in line behind you, putting a smile on someone else's face are all blessed actions.

If you live in a non-tipping culture or feel like that should be included in the overall price you paid that is your choice. Just be sure that your appreciation for the service you receive is evident and abundant, that you approach everyone with a smile on your face and good intention in your heart

BoundForElsewhere well said, the truth is tipping is a very interesting and heated topic but courtesy and good intentions are universal (ok I know I have rose colored glasses but think they should be).

The reason I said "fair" in quotes is exactly that, it's a personal perspective, in some cultures teachers are considered critical as they influence and take care of future generations and are therefore well compensated in others they are definitely not, in some cultures a doctor is well compensated in others being a doctor is not desirable at all.

Being Swedish I can say what is considered "fair" compensation is the topic of many evenings and varies with the amount of wine being consumed with the meal, but completely off topic, Happy New Year everyone :)

If you are a solo diver on a dive boat with a dm, captain, and marinero, how much do you tip each day? How much if it is a multiday? I have, in the past, tipped $50 per day for all of them. Is this miserly or egregious. This is in Maya Riviera.

I always also bring down beef jerky and other little gifts from leisure pro as well as acting as a mule for the dive shop when they need stuff. Working within walking distance of Leisure Pro is a boon and a bane.

I think everyone got a little off topic here as we are want to do on SB. In Islam, we have a responsibility to perform sadaqua on a daily basis. Sadaqua is an act of kindness whether it is monetary, action, or even just a smile. Acknowledging the homeless guy that stands on the corner is sadaqua, buying them a meal, hugging someone who is in distress, paying for the coffee of the guy in line behind you, putting a smile on someone else's face are all blessed actions.

If you live in a non-tipping culture or feel like that should be included in the overall price you paid that is your choice. Just be sure that your appreciation for the service you receive is evident and abundant, that you approach everyone with a smile on your face and good intention in your heart

$50 a day, for how many dives per day?

It sounds like Sadaqua-wise, you're in very good stead.
Are you deliberately renting the whole boat, only for yourself? Or are you a solo diver on a boat with other divers?

$50 a day, for how many dives per day?

It sounds like Sadaqua-wise, you're in very good stead.
Are you deliberately renting the whole boat, only for yourself? Or are you a solo diver on a boat with other divers?

Typically four or five dives a day. I've never booked if for myself but it happens on occasion that I am the only one going out so I get a private DM usually in the afternoon, which is nice.

I've received as good a service or better, in non-tipping cultures.

I've received crappy service and was still expected to tip in tipping cultures.

Your premise is not correct. That is how it should work and perhaps it does at times but definitely not all the time.

in tipping cultures, you are allowed to not tip or tip poorly to express your dissatisfaction.

in tipping cultures, you are allowed to not tip or tip poorly to express your dissatisfaction.

You are a die-hard proponent. When don't you tip?

Back
Top Bottom