Tipping Housekeeping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh...the age old debate of tipping. I have to agree with Divng. It's fun to see what surprises await when you tip the maids. We have gotten swans made from washcloths (almost too pretty to use the washcloth), roses made from toilet paper, extra water, extra towels, freshly cut flowers, and ALWAYS a smile in the hallway. One maid even straightened out our suitcases and placed them neatly in the closet for us and arranged our shoes underneath (and NO, nothing was missing).

Personally, I do it for the smiles.

James Goddard:
I've been involved with several discussions here about tipping housekeeping. Personally I don't think I should tip housekeeping, the guy who makes my sandwich at subway, etc. I do tip my barber, waiters, delivery persons, bell hop, etc.

However, on my next trip I'm going to experement and tip housekeeping to see what kind of extra service I get.

What would be suggested as a reasonable tip for housekeeping?

James

and I don't tip unless (1) I make a real mess of the place or (2) they do something extremely outgoing, which is more rare than black coral.

Why, you ask? Okay, you didn't, but I'll tell you anyway.

One summer between my years of university, I was a hotel chambermaid in a fairly well-known chain hotel for three days. Thank heavens a better summer opportunity came along. This is not pleasant work, and you simply would not believe some people's personal habits until you see the aftermath.

At least 2 bucks a day.

Most of the time we stay in condos or houses and then yes, we absolutely tip the housekeepers. They clean the whole place every day, including mopping down the balcony, cleaning the patio furniture and doing any dishes we may have left in the sink. I have to admit that I have never tipped hotel housekeeping staff. I'm always very nice and pleasant if I see them, which is rarely. I've never received any less service either. Actually, on our last trip the room was dusty in spots and there were dust threads on the ceiling by the AC unit. The room should be clean to start with, shouldn't it? Or did the last occupant not tip? It wasn't a cheap room in a cheap hotel.

I am a good tipper but just never felt the need to tip hotel housekeeping.

I thought you might be interested in hearing the results of my experement. We had a very nice housekeeper, Magdelena, who also has a small child. We with with the $2/20p tip per day.

Every day things were well cleaned and we got a fruit basket on the first day and an interesting array of towel animals. Of particular interest were the bunny (complete with stick on eyes) and the elephant. Eventually we were upgraded from 2 towels (for 2 1/2 people) to 3, but I think this was because one of the towel art pieces needed more towels.

All of this may have been standard service. However, on the first day when we checked in, we received a rather natty looking crib for Audrey. Looked like it had been left out in the sun too long and had mildewed (but had been cleaned). On the second day Magdelena replaced it with an almost new looking one. This in and of itself would be worth the $14 in tips.

I'll definatly try the expirement again.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom