Tipping guidelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what a boat crew would prefer if they had to choose between a boat load of divers that make their job easy but do not tip well or a boat full of very difficult divers that tip very well?

I work as a boat DM now and then so I'm going to say they'd rather have needy divers who tip well. They are out there to support themselves and maybe a family, not have a relaxing fun time.

Update: After some more thinking...I'm confident to say that I tip because I think the crew did a great job and I'm very appreciative of all their hard work, looking out for me, helping to get me and my equipment onto the boat, being nice to me, keeping me safe, etc., NOT because I think they need the extra money to buy their daughter a pair of shoes. I think they'd be offended by that.

I did not intend to imply that tipping well is an act of charity but simply recognizing that most of us have more discretionary money than most of them. If a person tips $10/tank insteead of $5/tank, that's going to be about $60 more over the week for most divers. I've never spent less than $1000 for the week overall even when I do it on the cheap so $60 would not be a material difference.

They sure are! Just like you and I. I hear small Coz dive ops offer extensive benefits packages like us fortunate enough to be born in the USA are accustomed to. I hear it's the best 401K with 100% company match, health coverage, stock options, bonus structures, etc..........They have it so nice. I'm pretty jealous I don't get to lug around a bunch of heavy gear all day.

I dunno, I'm not trying to be an a$$. Maybe it's just been my own dumb luck, but I always pay attention to what the boat does when it's tip time. I pay attention because often times I'll tip extra heavy if there was a couple of n00b divers on the boat that may not be familiar with tipping just yet or whatever. I can't tell you how many times I've heard divers praise and thank the crew for the greatest day of their life and then hand the captain $10 bucks to split among themselves LOL. Gee, thanks.

I understand the point you are trying to bring across but I think you will be much more successful and have more people nodding in unison with you if you tried a little harder. I don't mean that in a mean way. It is the internet after all so if you're not looking for any vindication, then please disregard.

I understand and agree with you on the latter example you described.

$5 dollars a tank? Good lord, you guys are diving cheaply in Mexico with a favorable exchange rate so most things are pretty cheap on the island. 10 bucks for a half days (or more, that starts way early) worth of back breaking work seems pretty dang frugal. I'd hate to hear what these guys say about you behind your back.

I tip $40 - $60 for a 2 tank day for me and my wife. At the end of the week when I pick up my stuff I'll usually leave another $75-$100 for the shop/rinse staff.

I am happy for you that you are able to tip nearly 50% for a two tank trip, but some of us can't afford to do that.

As a tour guide in a different industry, I see tips as a bonus, but not an unexpected one. It’s part of my anticipated compensation.
What are you going to tip on your $120 steak dinner tonight?
Every guest deserves the best service. I don’t get to have excuses for a marginal day, neither do they.
Assuming your boat crew live up to that, then, by all means, a generous gratuity is in order.
A team who assure I don’t lose a dive (maybe due to my equipment failure) a DM who shows me the good stuff and leads a safe dive and a captain who is efficient and hauls my gear up to make re-entry a breeeze, they deserve every bit of 20%, usually high side of that.
As for not being able to afford good service, with rare exceptions, I go back to the old chestnut, if you can afford an expensive car, you’ve no room to bitch about the price of gas.
There’s also a difference between a one and done adventure tip and using the same service provider repeatedly.
You think your barber is going to give you their very best if you don’t treat them right?
People in life-saving industries need to know they’re appreciated.

Yeah, most everybody prices in dollars. It's much more convenient for the shops and for tourists. Nobody cares what the law says, and there's no way anyone could enforce it anyhow. You'd literally have to shut down all of the tourist operations in Quintana Roo.

Most often each shop will have an exchange rate posted. It is never favorable for the tourist.

I’d care what the law says and how accurately shops are following it. Very slippery slope we’re on, especially when we’re trusting them with our lives.

Okay here is an interesting question...

A lot of people on this forum have favorite dive ops that they insist are superior because of the DMs and Captains, etc.

If industry standard is $5, are you tipping $5+ for the superior service they provide?

My DM's and Captains in Cozumel are salaried employees. They do not "work for tips". My tips are in addition to their monthly salaries.

While that is true, I think you will find the tips are the largest percentage of their income. Those not-freelance, salaried employees have fairly low salaries.

Just remember that a "Good job" in Mexico pays $10/day. I think minimum wage is something like $4/day. I generally overtip there if I get excellent service. I go by the restaurant standard here of 15-20% If the bill. So for a 2 tank $80 boat dive it would be $15 or so. I generally only do one or 2 boat dives on a trip. We go for the cave diving and hire locals for sherpas to help cut trails through the jungle and haul our tanks. For $30/$40 a day they will call in sick to there regular job and work their buts off for us. It is really sad that their pay scale is so low. Food is cheaper there but most other things don't seem to be that much cheaper to make up for the difference in pay. Tip well for the ones that work hard for you.

I am happy for you that you are able to tip nearly 50% for a two tank trip, but some of us can't afford to do that.
And I'm sad for the dive shop employee that has to lug all your crap around for a shi77y tip because "you can't afford" to tip reasonably.

Back
Top Bottom