Tipping Etiquette in Western Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MartianBeerPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hiya,

I recently went on a trip over to Vancouver Island for two days of diving. The dive shop that arranged it all also provided a DM who also acted as our driver. We stayed at a dive lodge on the island - a small husband and wife team. She fed us and he took us to the dive sites.

It's not customary to tip for this sort of thing where I normally hide out so I didn't think of it at the time. But I have a bad feeling that I may have committed a bit of a Fox's Paw.

So what's the etiquette hereabouts?

Funny how you refer to faux pas as Fox's Paw :) You have a very good question. I hope someone out there knows the answer. I am interested to find out as well.

chances are very good that your DM was less-than-well-compensated for that. But, he likely got paid *something*, and got to dive for free. Since he was your driver as well, consider what value he had to you -- cab fare? Dive guiding? etc.

As for the dive lodge, no tipping would have been necessary (though I'm sure it would have been appreciated) -- the owners set the price and charge what they want to make.

Coming from someone in the US tropics, I can tell you that dive guides (well, anyone in the service industry, actually) couldn't afford to live without tips.

Occasionally I'll get some beer from people who become my favorite students soon thereafter, but really, tipping isn't something that happens here.

I have only been tipped a couple times in my years as a DM/Instructor. As a customer here I find the boat prices high enough, compared to Halifax and the Lakes that I feel that when I pay 100-120 a day that is enough money. I do get paid OK as a DM here, even if my dives are a little shorter than when I am alone.

I have only been tipped a couple times in my years as a DM/Instructor. As a customer here I find the boat prices high enough, compared to Halifax and the Lakes that I feel that when I pay 100-120 a day that is enough money. I do get paid OK as a DM here, even if my dives are a little shorter than when I am alone.
It's really strange how this matter of etiquette varies.

On Maui, 2-tank boat charters (including an in-water DM with no greater than 7:1 diver:guide ratio) generally run between $120-140 per diver. The DMs (who double as boat crew when top-side) get around $100-110 (total) for a day's work -- usually 6am-1pm. Yes, that's ~$14-15 per hour. But if you're not making $2k per month, you're going to be struggling to make ends meet.

Tips here, to the tune of $5 per tank, are virtually expected -- the crew has to mess up badly to justify tipping less. And tips of $10 per tank are much appreciated.

I know when I stop in Hawaii, I will do up to 10 dives on the same boat in a weekend. I put too much on the CC to tip too much. Bit, I dont let anyone change my tanks, I carry my own stuff and I even help with carrying tanks, and they dont have to watch me too close underwater.

I know when I stop in Hawaii, I will do up to 10 dives on the same boat in a weekend. I put too much on the CC to tip too much. Bit, I dont let anyone change my tanks, I carry my own stuff and I even help with carrying tanks, and they dont have to watch me too close underwater.
For some boat crews here, what you've described / expect to see, actually requires more attention and work than what the "normal" diver would require... and if they actually let you do all of that, probably deserve a bigger tip, especially if you didn't show them your Instructor card when they asked for your c-card. :)

If I'm supposed to tip someone that brings me food and they get paid roughly the same wage as someone that is essentially responsible for my safety underwater.... why wouldn't I tip my guide? But, as in restaurants, it depends hugely on the quality of service.

Back
Top Bottom