Tipping customs in Indonesia, Bali, Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In many places (but not all) tipping your guide or other crew on the sly is kind of silly at best and could put a guide or crew member in a bad situation should they make a poor choice. Understand unless the guide is dishonest and willing to lose his job and endure the wrath of his peers and community, after you leave the money goes where it should- to the communal tip jar where it is distributed during Ramadan, Christmas, or the New Year at predetermined percentages. They are happy to let you think you are doing something special, but few would dare to steal from their peers and friends.

Tip boxes were put in most dive resorts in Indonesia to combat Americans like me who tip heavy. It got to the point where the senior and/or toughest guides would watch the incoming guest list and lay claim to all those from tipping cultures- the Americans. They younger guides were always stuck with nationalities that didn't. Obviously, this was completely unfair for everyone, guests and young guides alike. Hence tip boxes.

Indonesian kampung (communities) are far more communal than what most of us know. When it comes to money, work expectations, salaries, and titles, Indonesians value clearly established roles and regulations. This is why it is best to use the tip box. It helps preserve fairness- something Indonesians truly appreciate. Don't put guides and crew in situations where they may be tempted to pocket some cash as they could have serious repercussions later. Use the tip box.

I know Wakatobi has a box. Don't know what BM has, did not see reference to mode. Will look for one.

I do one solo dive trip per year and two with my husband, mostly to Indonesia. We only tip guides if we are happy with the service and never if we are not.There is usually a tip box for resort staff and we almost always put in a few 100,000 rupiah in for them.

On my solo trips if the guides have been helpful with equipment and spotting etc etc and they invariably are, I give 100,000 per diving day. I know that other divers tip less and some more. If there is a tip box recommended then that goes in there, but I do slip a nice guide a bit as well.

100,000 rupiah is about a dive guide’s basic daily salary in Indonesia. The ladies who carry the tanks in Tulamben get 10,000 rupiah per tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom