Tip to Owner/Operator too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to tip what is the normally acceptable amount. 15-20%. The dive shop I go to in Playa Del Carmen charges $55 for a two tank dive. That means that I tip between $8 and $11 for each two tank trip. To make matters easier for myself I keep a list of the divemasters who I have dove with and the name of the boat captains. I talley that up the day before departure and give them their tip in individual envelopes. I've dove there enough so they know what to expect when I leave. I've always been treated exceptionally well even the first time I went to this shop, and they didn't know how i operated. By the way don't feel that you are required to tip anybody. I've adjusted my tip down and up depending on the circumstances. I take notes when the captain runs to help my wife lug her equipment and tanks and I take note when I see her trying to get her equipment onto a little six pack with a three foot drop from the pier. So my suggestion is tip for good service and ignore them for poor service, and use the standard amount for service personel (ie 15-20% of the cost of the service). Good luck

raviepoo once bubbled...
Tipping is a mighty strange ritual, isn't it? The US has a cultural consensus regarding which professions get tipped. Tips are for the people who do service industry jobs (and usually earn some pretty low wages from their employers.) In these instances, the quality of the consumers experience depends on the employee who takes care of them. Tips are given in appreciation of good service and witheld if service is poor.

I have no problem tipping a waitress, cab driver, hairstylist, or the nice Korean lady who gives me my bikini wax. I have a bit of a problem when I see a boldly labeled tip jar sitting on the counter at the local ice cream parlor, however. I've even seen a tip jar next to the cash register at a shoe store. I'm sorry. I don't think that taking my money, putting it in the cash register, and handing me my purchase warrants a tip.

I tend to overtip at cheaper restaurants and treat expensive places a little differently. If I decide, for example, to splurge on an expensive bottle of wine, the service is the same as if I'd ordered the cheapest selection on the menu, so I don't necessarily feel compelled to tip on the difference.

couples don't usually double the tip of a single but think of what your tipping for

The Captains and crew are experienced people that make your diving safe and hassle free. The DM does that and even more. I'm a newbie and sucked air like a vacuum so I was provided with a AL100 tank. So I tipped $10 to the DM and $10 to the Captain.

Other people don't need so much attention and 5 dollars in total while low would be appropriate.

I would rather over tip these guys than the guy making me a coffee drink for $3.50.

would I tip the owner less than the working DM? No because they still do the work and if they choose to give it to the crew what should you care? Good for the crew.

Remeber, its a tough job and they should be compensated.

Of course some people told me when they dove Baracuda the Captain lost them for 15-20 minutes. Well that Captain didn't get a tip and probably didn't deserve one.

Tip according to service rendered

Heheh, because I live in Canada!!

Ain't that the truth!!!!

I dunno, I tip because everyone else does, sometimes too much, and evidently sometimes too little.

My honest thinking is, and I'm not speaking directly to diving by any means, but why tip someone who's getting paid to do what they are doing??

Sure I appreciate the "extra" service. We all take note of that little extra, say, a waiter/waitress does. This means I will be back, but what does it have to do with them getting paid??

I realize waiters etc work for Min Wage, so rely on tips as income. Getting back to diving, is it the same for DM's and Captains???

I guess what bothers me about tipping, is that it has been cheapend. Now, everyone in a "tipping" job simply expects it for "regular" service. For "doing their job" as I always say.

Yes, I'm self employed, and slack/laziness traits annoy the heck out of me. A real people person I am!!!! hahah

Tipping Jars?? Don't ever go to Grand Cayman........Right up front about it when I was there. And then nickel and dime you all day long to boot.

Maybe that's why I'll never go there again. I'll try Brac or Little next time, and see if they're different.

Regards.

I would never think of stiffing anybody unless the service is bad. If you can afford that expensive bottle of wine or the expensive dive trip then you can afford the appropriate tip.

Hmmm, I say "tipping" has been cheapend, and then I read......

then you can afford the appropriate tip.

I wish they just added the "tip" to the total cost.

Arrrgh, that doesn't work. F/Americana did, and then I end up tipping on top of that........

Damn :)

Jerryg once bubbled...
I would never think of stiffing anybody unless the service is bad. If you can afford that expensive bottle of wine or the expensive dive trip then you can afford the appropriate tip.

I don't stiff anybody; as to what I can afford and what's appropriate, that's for me to decide.

reefguy04 once bubbled...
$5 to be be split two ways? Seems $2.50 each for a two tank trip sounds a bit frugal. $10 ($5 each) seems about right if service was good, i.e. helping gear up, help getting back into boat, taking the time to point out all the little critters, etc.

$5 per dive. On a two tank dive $10.

Gordon once spouted
I don't stiff anybody; as to what I can afford and what's appropriate, that's for me to decide.

Servers are paid below minimum wage and rely on tips to make up the difference. If the service is appropriate and you choose not to tip appropriately then you've stiffed them. "A rose by any other name"

You can't say that.

A "tip" by nature is voluntary. If they work for less than XXX for XX reason, then it's not someone elses job to supplement them.

The simple fact that we all know we HAVE to tip is enough to get them their required income, but to say he's stiffing them is a bit much.

Besides, I don't think he ever said he wasn't tipping anything.

Like I've said, tipping has been cheapened by it all. Now, lets face it, even poor service gets a tip. And it shouldn't be that way.

ya know, I'm really starting to hate tipping now!!

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom