Timex Atlantis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like an awesome watch. Let me know how it works for you. The price sounds great.

I've had my Atlantis in the pool a number of times now but it should be safe to use in the pool.

I might kill the watch the first time I take it to 40 feet or more.

dgangi once bubbled...
Timex *does* make a "true" dive watch. It's called the Helix D_M. Here's the link: http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148476516

Is it really a *true* dive watch? it is only rated to 50M. Watch companies inc Timex all say that a watch is not suitable for SCUBA unless rated to 200M

I think the depth rating of watch is a static pressure ie if you go to 50m and move around or touch the watch the pressure on the watch is greater than 50m worth of water.

Another thing I have noticed is watches quoting water resistance in BAR ie 5 BAR for 50m BUT 5 BAR is actually only 40m !!!

deanmurray once bubbled...

Is it really a *true* dive watch? it is only rated to 50M. Watch companies inc Timex all say that a watch is not suitable for SCUBA unless rated to 200M

I think the depth rating of watch is a static pressure ie if you go to 50m and move around or touch the watch the pressure on the watch is greater than 50m worth of water.

Hmmm..................50 meters is 165 feet, deeper than most rec divers will ever go.

But you are right. The helix is probably not a "true" dive watch because it is not rated any more than 50 meters. But for the money and the features it does have, it makes for a very nice "untrue" dive watch. It is extremely to read even in low light and the numbers are very large making it even easier to read, starts timing dive automatically when you reach 3 ft., gives total bottom time, temp. at depth, logs 30 dives, split times, 2nd time zone. Works for me. :egrin:

Hmm...I don't know I've been wearing Timex watches for years as everyday watches and I'll admit they are pretty chinsy watches and not real durable or reliable especially when it comes to water in my experience. They're cheap that's why I've bought them but you get what you pay for. I've wrecked a couple of Iron Man's in a 10 foot pool and they were rated to 100 meters. The one I'm wearing now even craps out every once in awhile and resets itself to 12:00 and Jan 1 for the date. Pretty lame. I think I'll stay away from Timex on my next watch purchase though and get something of higher quality. I surely wouldn't trust a Timex for my "main" bottom timer.

GP, wise advice in my opinion:

I surely wouldn't trust a Timex for my "main" bottom timer.

There is an earlier thread that may be of interest. As I'm relatively new to the boards I'm not sure how to link to it. I think it was called "Help ! I think I killed my watch". It had to do with the apparent flooding of a Timex.

I hope this helps.

reefwreck once bubbled...
GP, wise advice in my opinion:

There is an earlier thread that may be of interest. As I'm relatively new to the boards I'm not sure how to link to it. I think it was called "Help ! I think I killed my watch". It had to do with the apparent flooding of a Timex.

I hope this helps.

No argument there. I was simply statating that for the reasonable price and warranty support that Timex does give most Timex watches make good "watches" that also happen to work fairly well as a dive watch. I have had several Timex watches over the years and whenever I have had a problem with them I simply sent them back and in almost every case was sent a new one, no questions asked.

I would never rely on any watch as my main bottom timer with the exception of a watch that was specially made for the purpose, read very expensive. The Helix is a nice watch that has alot of features for a great price....that's all.

:rolleyes:

Just got back from our dive this weekend. The Helix did great. Other than a scratch from bumping up against a concrete pillar I had absolutely no problems with it.

It tracked our total bottome time and depth very accurately, my dive buddy dives using a Hyper Aqualand and both the time and depth and surface times were very close.

We only dove to about 40 feet but I'm sure it won't have any problems going deeper, at least as far as I am willing to go for now. :D

Hi folks, I know this thread post is very old (2002), but I need a new watch, and found this. I'm a PADI Instructor, ( retired ), and my current job is underwater pump tech, I do blackwater dives. But, for all you instructors out there, and all you new divers, I know money is tight these days, so I'll just give you my scope on the Timex Atlantis 100. Best dive watch you can buy for the money, I'm going today to get number 6. I've never had one fail, and I beat the crap out of them, and best of all, you can find them at kmart, and I've never spent more than 36 bucks for one. My dive buddies and dive masters have all spent big bucks on some really nice dive watches, best story, was in the Red Sea, my buddy bought a Bolliva, 343 dollars, the day before the dive, spent 30 minutes at 55 feet, came up, his watch was dead. If you got the cash, get a nice watch, if things are tight, buy the timex, you won't be dissapointed.
later
JBjr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom