time to upgrade??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When is it time to start thinking about upgradeing my 10 yearold reg. Another 10 years or sooner?

Does it do what you need it to do? I have a Sherwood Maximus that is well into year 12, I would love to have a new Atomic, Apek or Dive Rite, but I have a hard time spending the money when the current regulator meets my needs. I can still find parts and someone to service it, although it is now on LDS #4.

I have the Oasis and have always loved it. I here ya on the prices of a new reg like the Atomic( cool looking) Does it do what I want(like able me to breath underwater) the answer is yes. Why am I thinking about upgrading???? Heck I don't know I guess just because. Just got a Zeagle Escape BCD and I thought about upgrading the reg also. Not really sure how long they last and when one should start thinking about buying another one.

my first reg was a scubapro g200/mk200. bought it 2nd hand in the US. it has serviced me since '98, so i guess it is at least 15 years old. i have it serviced annually & it feels brand new! i just bought a 2nd hand atomic for back up & switch uses between regs.

Walter:
My reg is 20 years old, I doubt I'll ever replace it. There's nothing better than a Scubapro MK10/G250.

Just another newfangled piece of plastic (although one of the better ones).. I upgraded my 3 year old Mk20/G500 to a Mk5/BA/Adj.

Unless you are unhappy with your current reg or see something specific in a newer model that you have to have, you might want to just stay with what you have. The biggest advances in regulators in the last 20 years have probably been in the reduction of production costs and the proliferation of distributors.

superstar:
the mk5 bal/adj is a tough one to upgrade from.
Gotta agree there!

I got that setup in '78 and have been diving it ever since. Just back from way overdue annual service and overhaul and waiting to get wet. Almost dove it this weekend, but buddy got busy. Oh well, everyday I wait to get wet, is a day for the water to get warmer :D

I'd wait until you can't get it serviced anymore or when the cost to service it is greater than the value of the reg. Mine is 8 years old and still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom