Time to start thinking about an upgrade ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For $1000 Bob, i'd get an A620 or A610 in an Ike housing and get a strobe.
You might be able to barely squeeze it in under budget.

I heartily recommend a strobe since from what i'm guessing the vis up your side isn't the best, so you'll need a strobe to reduce backscatter if you're shooting something other than than macro.

A WA add on wet mate lens is not going to be $1000- they will start around $330ish. I have one for the Oly 5050 and adore it (as much as I adore anything WA). It is a great investment if you are wanting to shoot big things - distance is your enemy underwater. If you really want to shoot stuff that is big and far away, a strobe is in your future unless you are happy to shoot natural light and silhouettes.

http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?...rers_id=4&sort=1&main_page=index&filter_id=15

I would talk to Ryan at ryan@reefphoto.com - he does this every day and really is good about suggesting cameras that suit YOUR needs.

If you are looking for small, you'll need to stick with the manufacturer's housing and not the Ikelite etc as they are considerably bigger and bulkier.

I really like the Canon 620, but in the Canon housing you cannot add wet mate lenses. The Oly 350 seems to be popular and those using it are enjoying it. I'm not sure how small it is compared to what you have.

RAW will very much help you acheive better results in a wider variety of conditions, but you will still have to shoot within the capabilities of your camera system.

I would compare minimum focus distance at www.dpreview.com for the models you are interested in. Remember closer might not always be better when we start talking about getting so close as to invade a creature's space. Sometimes a better option is to be a tiny bit away and use your zoom to fill the frame.

So many options! Have fun shopping!

I'm taking a closer look at the Oly SP-350 ... one question. Are all xD chips created equal? In other words, could I use the 1 GB xD Fujifilm chip in my F10 in the SP-350? Or is there something different about the Oly xD chip that I should know about?

Also, can you add a WAL when using the Oly housing? Or would I want to look at a different housing for that possibility?

B&H Photo seems to have a pretty good price on these cameras right now ... and with the $50 rebate, it looks very attractive ... probably leave me enough to consider a strobe ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There are some features that only work with oly-brand xd cards. Panoramic-mode is one that comes to mind. That being said, I've never used any of these features that require them.

Well, I placed my order ... (B & H Photo) ...

Olympus SP-350 camera
Olympus PT-030 housing
SeaLife SL960D strobe and tray

Total, including UPS 3-5 day shipping = $800

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, I placed my order ... (B & H Photo) ...

Olympus SP-350 camera
Olympus PT-030 housing
SeaLife SL960D strobe and tray

Total, including UPS 3-5 day shipping = $800

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Congrats on the purchase, let us know what your impressions are of it when you get it 'wet' :wink::14:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom