Time to hang up my wetsuit after near death on NYE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@lowwall i see some logic in this..

First locally... let’s face it, either in Chicago or for me in northern Germany, people who dive are interested in the sport itself... so more likely to be thorough. Whereas in vacation like destination (FL Caribbean, SE Asia...) the average diver is more likely to be a tourist, interested in seeing cool stuff rather than the sport of scuba diving itself...

Last level, and I admit it’s based out of a prejudice... I would think that on US land or close to US land (FL, Caribbean...) you are more likely to get sued if your standards aren’t up to regulation rather than the big vacations destination in SE Asia.

Bottom line for the TLDR:
- Local cold=> motivated divers
- “US type” warm vacation => less motivated diver + legally motivated OP
- “SE Asia type” warm vacation => less motivated diver + less legally motivated OP

I understand the short comings of my reasoning, I know those are crude generalization that don’t apply “as is” in every location. I hope it doesn’t offend anybody I’m just trying to find a logic that might explain some experiences related here...:)

I thought SCUBA stood for “Some Come Up Barely Alive…” Not sure I’d hang it up after 1 bad experience.

OP may never have been all that enthused anyway. Not eveyone catches the bug.

OP may never have been all that enthused anyway. Not eveyone catches the bug.
This.

Diving isn't for everyone. More people try it than stick with it.
Skiing isn't for everyone. More people try it than stick with it.
Hiking isn't for everyone. More people try it than stick with it.
Golf isn't for everyone. More people try it than stick with it.
Motorsports isn't for everyone. More people try it than stick with it.
Drinking isn't for everyone. More people try it than stick with it. Well, I guess most who try that stick with it.

That sounds like most of the diving I’ve done in Florida.
Interesting. I suspect I've done more dives in Florida than you have, and I've never seen that kind of Asian valet-diving service there. Not once.

I've had that experience twice, when I went shark diving in Orlando. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom