Time to get a drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a source for info on drysuits Exposure Protection - The Deco Stop.
We have four suit in the family. A Bare nex-gen, a Bare trilam and two O'Neill neoprenes. My wife loves the nex-gen. It is light and easy to carry and pack. The neoprene suits fit like a loose wet suit and doesn't have a lot of drag. However, when you use neoprene seals you lose the dry suit and get a damp suit. It's still nice and warm. Neoprene suits have a shorter life than fabric suits. I have to replace the neoprene suits we have. The trilam is heavy, stiff, and I found it hard to get use to. But it is rugged, dry and warm.
I'm looking at a crushed neoprene suit from Diving Concepts to replace the worn out suits.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks for all of the info. I have not used a drysuit yet, so I really have no idea as to what makes one drysuit better than another. I want to make an informed decision, so I would like to rent/demo a few before purchasing. I have purchased way too much equipment more than once!
Will Flatiron or A-1 allow demo's?

I'm diving a bottom of the line Laminate drysuit, and the high end suits dive no better, in fact worst if theirs is leaking and mine is not! :D What makes a good drysuit is basically fit, and durability. The difference between an expensive drysuit, and a lower end drysuit is Brand name, materials (to some degree), and customization or options.

There are a lot of options that may or may not be things one wants. Some options include the type of sock or boots (important), pockets (handy), seal types (neo/latex), Pee valves, if the zipper is front entry (more expensive) vs. back, zip seals, dry hoods, optional valve placement, and fitting options.

I've known a number of divers who have picked up the Bare Trilam suits for between $1000~$1300 from DiveTank and that included the suit, a custom boot option, adjusting the length a bit if necessary, inflater hose, and underwear. The DUI suits start at around $1400, and come barebone (little or no options). The Pinacle suits are NICE, and I know a number of people that dive them. They come standard with two pockets, reinforced knees, front zipper (in the evo II), and I believe you have your choice of a couple of boot options, and sizes. These run around $1500 at A1.

A1 may not allow a demo of their drysuits unless you have a drysuit patch (silly, but very likely true). They do rent drysuits (Pinacle Evolution/2) and they are nice. They may rent you one without a drysuit specialty class, but I'm not sure.

Flat Iron's does Demo DUI, and I think they may sell Bare as well.

If you are a non-standard fit, most retailers will work with you, and they may have to order your suit. With all the options available on most suits, unless an LDS carries a boat load in stock, they most likely will do a custom order. So don't think that you can just walk into a retail shop and walk out with exactly what you want unless you are not picky, and have standard body part sizing including the feet! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom