Time for kids to turn money into bubbles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My kids are now aware and responsible to begin their underwater adventures. I have grown distant from most recreational diving friends in Florida since moving to Ak many moons ago. I do not wish to burden friends that I stay in contact with to teach an OW class. I no longer teach.
So, it is time to begin the search for a great area for instruction for my oldest (13). If we could find an option where my youngest (11) would have snorkelling options, that would be swell.

Half Moon Bay (West End), Roatan... Warm water, reefs at 5-30', easy place to learn with some great instructors and dive ops aplenty. Decent snorkeling in the bay over the reefs, ex-sail boat with rope swing to entertain the kids when not diving.

My youngest learning to dive in 2019 when she was 10.

P7240241-edit-web.jpg

It might help for other recommendation if you specify a location of where you might be interested in having them learn.

Isla Mujeres is easy, shallow diving and if you go in the summer months around the full moon, you might be able to snorkel with whale sharks and giant manta.

My kids are now aware and responsible to begin their underwater adventures. I have grown distant from most recreational diving friends in Florida since moving to Ak many moons ago. I do not wish to burden friends that I stay in contact with to teach an OW class. I no longer teach.
So, it is time to begin the search for a great area for instruction for my oldest (13). If we could find an option where my youngest (11) would have snorkelling options, that would be swell.

Did I read that right that you moved from Florida to Alaska? That's some move.

I moved from Ak to Florida to cave dive (and go to school) 20 something years ago. Ended up spending a few years at the beach. Moved back to Ak to raise children in '06.
I should have specified that I am going to be in Florida and need instruction.

Location in FL would help if you are looking for locals to recommend a place. Around me, a lot of the OW checkout dives are done in Williston area (Devil’s Den, Blue Grotto) or Lake Denton, as well as Gulf dives. Many of the shops also regularly head over to the east coast (Ft. Lauderdale, PBC, Jupiter) or the Keys (usually Key Largo).

I’d recommend finding a good shop near where you will be, and doing the checkouts in the Keys. A trip (snorkel only) to Key Largo many years ago is what got me started years ago. Based on the ages of your kids, they will be limited on the spots they can dive due to depth, but there are plenty of spots near Key Largo that are shallow enough.

Any agency will will work for the oldest, but a few set the lower limit at 12, though plenty start at 10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom