Time for a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Staffing is #1! Get a staff that knows the gear, inside and out (not just what colors that BC comes in.) and make sure they are willing to go the extra mile to make the customer happy. In my opinion, no one should work in a dive shop unless they dive themselves. And, have them try the gear (pool or ocean) so they can truly say what there opinion is. There is nothing wrong with saying to a customer "I don't think this BC will work for you" as long as you follow it up with "let me help you find one that will".

Also, stock at least 2 manufactures, but make sure you have prices ready to do special orders for companies you don't stock. If you can establish a "Dealership" for a manufacturer that is a plus. You get cheaper dealer pricing, plus you can offer more options. But, rather than "pushing" one manufacturer on someone when they know what they want, it is better to go ahead and get their money and special order what they are really looking for. You may not make as much money as you would if they bought something you had in stock, but the customer is happy and there is no money out of your pocket. The customer pays you cost (plus a mark up percentage, of course) and usually you can charge a little less than someone who actually stocks the item because you don't have to worry about it sitting on your shelves for a few weeks.

This all is determinded, of course, but manufacterer dealers, distributors and territories. Get in touch with the different companies and see what they can offer you.

ALL of the above!! Plus in the pools for trying out equipment, I would want both cold water and warm water pools!! My cold water gear doesn't work well in warm water!! For example, my BC is way too big for me in warm waters....and many "regular" regs freeze up in cold water!! Just my $5.00, assuming money is no object!!

One must not forget that the shop needs a resturant that can look in on the pool and it's divers.

The warm and cold water is an interesting concept.

It was suggested to me that the shop beside the Japanese Resturant should have a outdoor recreation type of shop with it, kind of like a strip mall anchored by the dive shop.

Why is it that most shops only stick with one or two types of manufacturers? I also wonder about the price offered for classes and such, why not offer package education deals, I mean for the once a year to the twice a day diver?

The instructors would of course be paid salary not commision, and the sales staff also, thanks for that idea.

plus a space for people to just sit around talk and watch videos, kind of a club spot, with really confortable loung chairs.

There are two possible goals here. Either you love being rich and you want to get richer or you figure you don't really know how to be rich so, what the hell, blow it all out quickly and have some fun while you're at it.

Let's assume you want to grow your kitty, so to speak.

Pick a big population center with low unemployment, low underemployment, high disposable income, etc. In other words, Fiji might sound nice but NYC is closer to nirvana than Fiji, if you want to make some bucks (but NYC may be less than ideal because of high operating costs...suburbs would be better; or suburban Chicago, Boston, LA...)

Next, you're on the right path but you want to make this an entertainment experience in itself. How about an IMAX theatre next door? A health club (e.g., World Gym) on the other side. Other attractions...

[I've been in many Health Clubs around the world and I have yet to see ANY cross marketing between Health Clubs and scuba shops...that's a natural.]

Then let's scope out some of the other demographics on folks most likely to sign up for a scuba class... and build them into the experience. (You shouldn't invest in all these things; what you're trying to do is find a location and/or attract other businesses that should be synergistic with your dive ship.)

What else would be synergistic???

according to that line of thinking - you probably want to locate an industry that is slow when dive sales are high - that would allow you to get traffic in the winter when the ski shop has high traffic and in the summer they may have people sticking their heads in for sales etc...

You also want to take that club table a step further and make it a really active club - make sure that you have club dives weekly, accomodate peoples needs and they will come back to you. Go on dives people have an interest in and don't just arrange pricey boat trips...

I have 2 lds around here that I frequent - one offers extensive wreck diving experiences - the other simply tells peope that the wrecks around here are too boring to dive.

Also, make sure that your online presense is up to par - you are shootign for the peopel who can afford to purchase a lot of dive gear, these are also likely to be people who have internet access and do research (not limited to - but that is a group you don't want to not cater to).

that's it for now...
Uhm - one more thing - I shoudl get a business development job at the shop...

Hi All,

The "Ideal Dive Shop" would have employees who could share their HONEST opinions.I was talking to a shop employee recently that told me on group trips or any dives affiliated with the shop, he was required to use recent model equipment(his own)in Brands that the shop sold. This was the same person that would not give me a price for an Apeks(They are a Seaquest Dealer) because the shop he works for pushes Scubapro.I really don't know what his opinion is,and he can't or won't tell me.

Tavi

I think there has been some great ideas thrown out here. I also agree that there should be different brands carried. I know for myself, that what fits in a SeaQuest, wont be the same size in a Bare wetsuit. Masks are the same. I surely want a variety of regs too. Any time you can use equipment before you buy is a great PLUS in my book...it has helped me alot. As far a location goes, well that's a hard one. It would be great near some exotic country where it is warm all the time and great diving...but on the other hand, if it wasn't for places in upstate New York, where would I be? I'd have to go to say Florida to get gear. Thank God for People here with shops. I don't agree with a few of the way they try to sell equipment, but I don't have to buy my gear there either. People selling a product should know about it (used it would be better). Everyone has their own opinions on what they like, and that is a great thing. Without them where would we look for any answers...just like this board...it's a terrific thing. The BIGGIE I have about working in sales is ATTITUDE. If your attitude sucks because someone doesn't want to buy what you are suggesting, OH WELL. Maybe they know what they want...imagine that!!! Be helpful, but not pushy. The pool has to be a given. If it looks like fun to do there, you bet people will go for it. Debbielou

The idea for this thread was to get a discussion going with the folks like myself that go to the "dive shop".

I have three shops near where I live and another close the where my son lives, I have visited all and more that are with in about a hour drive from my home, in Phoenix, large population lots of beach no ocean :) , one shop has people with a good attitude towards life and diving but lousy owner attitude. (probly why there is a high turn over). my favorite shop wants me to be a Divemaster for them, but would have to wear their stuff. (what's wrong with what I wear?) still another has been around for so long that treats some divers like chips (we'll make more).

There are shops that I walked into and when my eyes focused turned and walked out. scary places

One day I was frustrated because I was stood up on a dive ( not from an instructor they were all teaching classes but from anoter diver) and was thinking hey if money was no object what would be a awesome dive shop a place I could hang out.

the ideas and sujestions that were posted are good and I agree with most I mean this is a capitalist society and money talks but I feel it should be a two way conversation.

I really have enjoyed diving at times, considering how close I have come to calling it quits. this has been a new life for me. so if money was ever to lecture me I would want to return it to people in the form of an ultimate dive shop so my underwater associates from around the pond could stop by and send their friends and family. (that and maybe sell some of my hand made custom fishing poles)

getting off box

Two things pop into mind immediately:
  • Quality/knowledgable staff
  • Quality/competitively priced merchandise

Sea you in the Deep Blue

Would have a sign on the front door,

"Gone Diving"
"Be Back Soon"

Back
Top Bottom