Time for a new mask...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmako

New
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm in the market to upgrade my mask. I know selecting a mask is a personal things and masks don't fit everyone the same way. All that being said, I'm starting my search looking for a low profile, low volume, max visibility. A couple of front runners I've found were the Tusa Visulator M-14 and the Mares X-Vision. Has anyone personally compared the two? Or would anyone have any pro's or cons regarding either one? Or recommend a comparable one? Thanks

I retired my 15 year old Oceanic 3 window for the Mares X Vision. Love it. Easy to use strap adjustment, Great sealing qualities, and the mask allows me to see my chest and the junk I have strapped on my D rings. I have a wide face, Hawaiian style, and no leaks even when I smile too big.

Between the Tusa and the X vision, you will find the Tusa to be a larger mask. The Tusa is also a single pane, with no division between the lenses as the X vision has. If you like that style, but want to stay with a lighter mask, you could also check out the single pane Mares Pure Vision http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=Mares_Pure_Vision

And they just came out with the X vision Mid which is an X vision with a smaller skirt for smaller faces. http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=XVisionMid

Scuba Pro, Frameless. It's all I will use. Sure works great for me!

I have a tusa m-14 and don't really care for it. Its so big on my face it leaks all the time but i will say the field of view is great compared to others

jmako:
Hi all, I'm in the market to upgrade my mask. I know selecting a mask is a personal things and masks don't fit everyone the same way. All that being said, I'm starting my search looking for a low profile, low volume, max visibility. A couple of front runners I've found were the Tusa Visulator M-14 and the Mares X-Vision. Has anyone personally compared the two? Or would anyone have any pro's or cons regarding either one? Or recommend a comparable one? Thanks

I have tried both of them and didn't care for ether one. The bothered me when I had a reg in my mouth but fit great in the store. I just got the US diver Look mask it was the only one that left some space above my lip. What is the point of a max vis mask if it is half full of water? And you may want to consider getting a mask with a black skirt, clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Unless you are claustrophobic a black skirt is the way to go. It also never yellows. And with any new mask make sure you scrub the lens with a non gel tooth past a couple of times or it will fog up even with anti fog in. Just my 2c Derrick

Fit really is everything! But you already understand that. I have a high regard for my X-Vision - haven't compared it with the Tusa, but it seems to fit most faces and gives an outstanding field of view, with easy one-touch strap adjustment. An alternative offering similar features is the Cressi-Sub Big Eyes - or its newer companion mask, the Horizon.

FWIW,

When I find myself again in the market better visibilty down along my chest will be a priority.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom