Time for a new forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please do not answer questions with non-DIR answers.
this line is on top of the DIR forum, but obviously the part: Please do not answer questions with non-DIR answers .

Which requires people who don't know what they are talking about to shut up. Which seems unlikely...

Is there a reason we should not make this forum an "opt-in" forum?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a high priority with management. In truth, controversy is good for business ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

C'mon Bob,

I take exception to that.

It is in the interest of the board to serve the greatest number of divers with legitimate questions who desire legitimate answers.

People are wanting to ask questions, but afraid of being held up to ridicule, humiliated, laughed at, and generally treated like crap in that forum. Clearly it isn't meeting the needs of those who have interest in the topic, particularly our newer members.

Yes, the purpose of threads is to converse and debate. Even argue, supposing its done in a reasonably professional manner.

But ridiculing people, humiliating new divers, and generally heading onto those threads to sling smack, banter, toss around BS, and act like morons, no....thats not the sort of controversy that management desires.

When I get back there, you owe me a beer... :wink:

Lets get back out into the San Juans again!

C'mon Bob,

I take exception to that.

It is in the interest of the board to serve the greatest number of divers with legitimate questions who desire legitimate answers.

People are wanting to ask questions, but afraid of being held up to ridicule, humiliated, laughed at, and generally treated like crap in that forum. Clearly it isn't meeting the needs of those who have interest in the topic, particularly our newer members.

Yes, the purpose of threads is to converse and debate. Even argue, supposing its done in a reasonably professional manner.

But ridiculing people, humiliating new divers, and generally heading onto those threads to sling smack, banter, toss around BS, and act like morons, no....thats not the sort of controversy that management desires.

When I get back there, you owe me a beer... :wink:

Lets get back out into the San Juans again!

Then create some new Mods to kick the trolling riff raff out of here. I haven't seen management do anything overt to clean up the problems. Except lament the loss of a couple of knowledgable mods who got sick of it.

Bob's right. I don't know if it exists, but if there was a totally DIR site, where you have to list your training and GUE experience to be allowed to post there, most of the DIR guys would check it out, yawn and stretch becuase there wouldn't be much to see or talk about, and they'd come back to SB looking for conflict. The anti DIR guys will still be here too...it takes two to fight, but it's always the same ones in the fight here. They like it. It's entertaining.

Yup ... my point ... a handful of folks on here are intentionally trying to torpedo this forum ... mostly because they have issues with DIR and are doing their part to push discussion of it off of ScubaBoard.

Unfortunately, to a degree, they are succeeding.

Perhaps it would be better if those of you who don't like DIR would just not visit this forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I fully support just getting rid of the very small percentage of individuals that just have the intention of disrupting and causing trouble. In any group, most of the individuals want to see others benefit and see an overall positive result. Unfortunately if you don't get rid of the very small few that have other agendas, the whole group suffers.

In my experience, in any group situation, attributes of those with only the intention to cause trouble would include things like:

1. Results in invalidative, intimidating or general suppression.
2. Twists situations to worsen them often embellishing bad news to make it worse.
3. Doesn't respond to warnings.
4. Purposefully enturbulating others

Of course anyone my exhibit any of the above from time to time, but the real troublemaker does it consistently.

The best and most enjoyable forums, newsgroups I've belonged to have been moderated by a good benevolant dictator. :) These boards/newsgroups tend to be a lot more effective, enjoyable and valuable.

Over the last 3 years, I and many others have gained a lot from the discussions of DIR from this forum. This did help me decide to take GUE-F which completely renewed my love of diving and now I'm off to Tech 1 with JJ at the end of the month. Next year it'll be cave diving followed by Tech 2.

Bob's right. I don't know if it exists, but if there was a totally DIR site, where you have to list your training and GUE experience to be allowed to post there, most of the DIR guys would check it out, yawn and stretch becuase there wouldn't be much to see or talk about, and they'd come back to SB looking for conflict. The anti DIR guys will still be here too...it takes two to fight, but it's always the same ones in the fight here. They like it. It's entertaining.
It's here:
http://www.divematrix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Not a totally DIR site, but the opt-in forum people are clamoring for.

Many of the members defending the sanctity of the DIR forum here are members over there as well. They apparently don't have much to talk about amongst themselves, however. The most recent post was yesterday, by Thallassamania.

Why are those individual posts not deleted?
why are those people still able to keep on posting in the DIR forum?

Because the DIR forum would become a sterile wasteland. it would consist of someone asking a question and then waiting for one of the 3-4 people who come here who actuality have serious GUE/DIR credentials to answer it. That would be guys like RTodd and MHK. Almost every thread in here would be two posts long. No offense to everyone else with GUE training intended.

These debates would just go elsewhere, including, I think, most of the participants on both sides. Those places would then (and already do) see similar threads as this one. In short these arguments are going to happen and is here not as good a spot as any? If you want the heavy moderated DIR discussion there are other places already set up for just that.

One of the few reasons I even bother reading this forum is because I get bored at work and there is some entertainment factor watching the usual suspects argue with the usual suspects over, IMHO most of the time, rather trivial issues in the larger scheme of life. :)

One of the few reasons I even bother reading this forum is because I get bored at work and there is some entertainment factor watching the usual suspects argue with the usual suspects. :)
The goal was actually to try to not over-moderate the forum, which annoys people.

Kinda hard to please everyone, huh? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom