Time Drift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keeping clocks in sync is a properly difficult problem. The oscillators used in cheap electronics are specified to about minute per month before temperature effects, pay more for 30s/month. Nobody will be using temperature compensation in a dive computer or watch and that variation can be a lot larger still.

If you look at anything hard enough you will decide it is broken.

Keeping clocks in sync is a properly difficult problem. The oscillators used in cheap electronics are specified to about minute per month before temperature effects, pay more for 30s/month. Nobody will be using temperature compensation in a dive computer or watch and that variation can be a lot larger still.

If you look at anything hard enough you will decide it is broken.
You may have missed the point here. My Teric is worse than any other dive computer or watch I've had. Kind of an anomaly for such a fine device.

A “typical” quartz clock will drift 15sec/30days.

Jay claims he gets 15sec/month drift

You claim 30sec/month drift

1min/month is 0.002314814814815% of the time in a 30 day month.

By comparison, the calendar drifts 0.068493150684932% per year.

You may have missed the point here. My Teric is worse than any other dive computer or watch I've had. Kind of an anomaly for such a fine device.

Maybe you have not paid attention to the time keeping before. I find dive computers drift by minutes between me noticing dives apparently starting a long time apart.

Digital electronic time is plus or minus tens of parts per million at stable temperatures and then worse than that depending on temperature. I once had to work on a very cheap (mean client) system where one end of a coms link was at room temperature and the other in a freezer, oh what fun.

Time accuracy isn’t really a reflection on the Teric, it is just what you get unless you really, really need proper time and are prepared to pay for it. If you are a not TV station, are complying with Mifid II or doing real science you don’t bother.

Anything better than your particular computer is getting is just luck in the random variation of parts.

Maybe you have not paid attention to the time keeping before.
But i have, that is exactly why I am raising the issue.

Anything better than your particular computer is getting is just luck in the random variation of parts.
Odd that all my other computers have done so well. Hardly seems random.

You seem to insist that I either have no problem, or shouldn't worry about it. Your concern is noted.

Shearwater says the auto-reset feature for the clock (that is now working on the Perdix) will soon be available for the Teric. That will be quite satisfactory. That is much more helpful than your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom