Tight to breathe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spc751

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was going to take my drysuit to Mexico because I always get cold in my 3mm wetsuit but have decided to try a thicker wetsuit instead.

I am looking at a 5mm Bare Reactive or a 5mm Bare Velocity. My ldc had me try on a Medium size 3mm Bare Sport and it fit very well everywhere except the chest was tight. I could feel a bit of effort to enhale and the tightness of the chest made exhaling very easy!

The Reactive and Velocity are a lot more stretchy than the Sport and I am wondering it this will make it more comfortable to breath.

By the way, my 3mm wetsuit is a medium large Bare Velocity and is a little large. I am a male, 5ft 10 tall and weigh 165lbs.

If you are not comfortable then the whole dive experience will not be as good as it could be. If you are comfortable in your dry suit that is what I would take. You just don't need as much inner layers.

If it's effecting your breathing especially with a detectable exhale assist it's probably too tight. If you can get into the suit and get it to settle on you so nothing is pulling unzip the suit. As you re-zip you don't want to be pulling much more than an inch of stretch with the zipper. I suggest as assistant to zip and observe.

The Sport series is essentially the old Arctic line they are excellent suits and are Bare's full density neoprene suits, warm and tough. The Reactive and Velocity use a combination of neoprene and fabric blends and are a bit more compliant. The material and possibly the cut of the respective products could make a significant difference.

If it does not feel right don't buy. Beware of dive shops "selling the rack".

More here

Pete

Thanks for the advice.

I want a wetsuit for the trips where my wife and I travel together because I only do a few dives on those trips and drysuit, boots and fins are too much.

I am under no pressure to buy. My ldc offered to loan me his suit to try on this trip but it is too large (Bare Reactive, medium large tall). Whatever I buy will have to be ordered as he has no stock.

A neoprene hooded vest will add a lot of warmth if you can fit it under your existing 3mm.

Have you tried Lavacore, thermocline etc? It's a little thinner and gives you the equivalent exposure protection of a 2 or 3 mil(depending on who you ask).

Have you tried Lavacore, thermocline etc? It's a little thinner and gives you the equivalent exposure protection of a 2 or 3 mil(depending on who you ask).

Are any of them able to replace a 5mm wetsuit?

Are any of them able to replace a 5mm wetsuit?

If you wear your 3mm suit with a Lavacore garment underneath, it will be like wearing a 5mm suit - in the areas that are covered by the Lavacore. Bonus feature: Lavacore is neutrally buoyant, so you would still use the same weight that you normally use with your 3mm suit. An actual 5mm suit would probably require you to add a little more lead to your rig or belt.

Lavacore has all kinds of options, from a full 1-pc suit, to a sleeveless full suit (essentially, a Farmer John), to a shortie, to separate pants and shirt (long sleeve, long sleeve with hood, or short sleeve), even to having socks.

I have several pieces of Lavacore gear, which is why I don't own a 5mm suit. If my 3/2 suit isn't warm enough, I put on Lavacore underneath. Ditto for my 7mm suit. I also use my Lavacore as undergarments with my dry suit, too, as it's pretty warm and comfy and adds minimal bulk.

---------- Post added November 12th, 2015 at 11:28 AM ----------

ps. I know at least 3 people now who have the Bare Reactive suits and they all rave about how comfortable they are and how much warmer they are than other suits of the same thickness. I would love to get a Reactive 3mm for myself. But, the price tag is way outside my budget.

Those reactive suits are extremely comfortable and warm. As Stuartv said, they are pricey, but you get what you pay for...and these are everything you are paying for.

Back
Top Bottom