Tight itinerary and need certification - any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually with PADI you can do three training dives in a day, though usually I still restrict it to two as beginner divers get cold and tired very quickly.

To the OP. Since you're leaving from Belize City on Monday there is NO WAY you can fit in a visit to Tikal as well as diving, let alone learning to dive. Put it out of your mind. If you want to visit some Mayan ruins (and I would if possible) I suggest your best bet is a day trip to Lamania. That would have to be on Sunday, as there probably wouldn't be time to get to the airport after the tour if you did it on Monday. That's not a TOTAL impossibility, but at best it would be a hell of a rush with the sword of Damocles hanging over you (in case you missed your flight).

Although HP is an excellent dive operation, I really think you'd be better off seeing ANY part of Belize rather than just staying in Belize City. It is very quick (20 minutes in the air) to get to San Pedro (on Ambergris Caye, where I'm based) and this is the area I know best, so I'll describe how this could work out if you came here. Going to Caye Caulker instead would be similar though a bit less convenient; going to Placencia would also be a possibility but I think it would be difficult to fit everything in in the time.

You don't say how your friend is travelling. She could fly to Belize City from Flores, but most people don't, opting for much cheaper but also lengthier road travel instead. If she's flying in she'll go to the International Airport, and I suggest she gets on the next flight to San Pedro. I would suggest you fly here directly from the IA on arrival the day before and meet her here when she arrives. That will be some time during Thursday morning. She could start the water portion of her course that afternoon, and all being well she could do the first two course dives on Friday morning. She could if she's feeling up to it do the third dive that afternoon. Either way, she would then finish the course dives on Saturday morning. Assuming she has completed the eLearning material and exam before she gets here, that would be all she'd need. She could then simply go diving that afternoon if she wanted. You could obviously be with her on all the dives if you wished.

On my proposed schedule, you'd both take a tour by boat from here to Lamanai the following morning (Sunday). You'd leave at around 7am and return by maybe 4pm. Lamanai are very impressive ruins so don't think you'd only be getting second best. Not in the same class as Tikal of course, but a worthwhile Tikal trip really requires that you spend at least one night there, and with all the travelling involved that can't happen this trip.

You'd both be off-gassing on Sunday and Monday morning, and I doubt whether you could leave the island much later than noon for your international flight. Your friend could fly directly to the IA, then on to Flores, or she could take one of the express buses that go all the way to Guatemala City. Presumably this would be at the same time that you had to leave, but if she wanted to do any more diving on Monday morning then she could leave on Tuesday. Either way you wouldn't be travelling together.

I'm sure there's a comparable arrangement you could take from Placencia, visiting a ruin down there, but I don't know enough about the area to comment. But even from there I see no way that you can visit Tikal this trip.

If you choose San Pedro there are several suitable dive centers you can use. There is also cheap accommodation available here. PM me if you decide to follow this option.

B could do the pool sessions Thursday afternoon/evening and the OW dives Friday and Saturday. If you are coming by bus from Belize City to Placencia, you could stop at my house about 10 miles north of Placencia and do the pool sessions at my house (50 foot pool, 9 feet deep at the deep end) and then we could drive you into Placencia. OW dives unlikely to be done at glover's unless we have a dive there one of those two days. If interested, contact me ralph@splashbelize.com

Ralph - what are the ruins options available to the OP in your area, given his time constraints? I'm sure they exist, but as I haven't been there I can't be sure. Are there any notable ruins within reach?

Thanks again everyone, for all the advice!

We had hoped to make camp in Placencia, but it probably doesn't work logistically. For a lot of reasons, I believe we need to be in Belize City by Saturday night or early morning Sunday. I haven't found a way to make that work with a Saturday morning dive in Placencia (Splash indicated we'd get back on shore at 3:30 pm). I understand there's no water shuttle, no evening buses on Saturdays, and there's a 4:30 low altitude flight, but I'm not sure that anything over 800 feet is really safe within a few hours of being underwater.

Just as sort of a hail mary pass, does anyone have a recommendation for outfits in Dangriga? I've searched the forum and can't find much. From Dangriga I think it will be a lot easier to get back up to Belize City Saturday evening.

Alternatively, I think we may just go with the crowds and head up to Ambergris. We've read good things about Ecologic Divers, and we'll probably hit up a few other places tonight/tomorrow.

I really appreciate all the free advice. I promise to write the best trip report I can and post it here :)

I don't know of any dive operations in Dangriga. As for Ambergris Caye, you won't find many crowds at the moment.

Ralph - what are the ruins options available to the OP in your area, given his time constraints? I'm sure they exist, but as I haven't been there I can't be sure. Are there any notable ruins within reach?
Peter, Nim Li Punit (Big Hat) and Lubaantun (Place of the Fallen Stones) and Blue Creek Cave are nearby. These ruins are smaller than the ones we visit in the Cayo district but have the advantage of being close to Placencia.
Lim Ni Punit is the closest ruin and has the longest stela found to date in Belize as well as a stela dating from around the year 700 AD.
Lubaantun is the main Mayan site in the southern part of Belize. This ruin is unique in that it was built without mortar, has no stelas and is where the controversial crystal skull was found.
Close to the village of Blue Creek is the Blue Creek Cave nature reserve where the hike tothe3 site is less than one mile along a trail where you can enjoy the rainforest, caves and the cool waters of the creek. Tour leaves at 8 am and returns around 5 pm. Our tours to Cayo leave earlier and return later and we do them on a regular basis.

If you'd said this earlier it would have saved a lot of time.

Sorry Peter - we didn't figure that out until just before my post, as we were looking at bus and flight schedules. The background is really complicated but it involves Becky coming in from Gautemala and me coming in from Boston, and her need to depart early Monday am from Flores (and me from Belize City). Especially given that she may need to take the bus from BC to Flores, and will definitely need to spend the night there, I'd just as soon travel with her to Flores and not have her travel alone. It just works out (as far as we can see) that the most logical solution is for us to both go to Flores together Sunday morning, poke around Tikal in the afternoon and see what little we have time for, and then she flies out and I fly/bus back to BC for the afternoon flight.

Like I said, complicated :)

A better option would be diving out of Belize City. Linea Dorada is a bus line that travels form the city to Flores which you can choose for your transfer. You can also opt for a private transfer to the western border with a stop at Xunantunich, a Mayan site along the Western Highway. Other stops along the way are the Belize Zoo and Guanacaste Park.

We are also on Facebook and on the cover of this month's Dive Training Magazine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom