Tickets at Sund Rock ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I read on another forum that the Mason County Sheriff's Dept. has started issuing tickets to divers at Sund Rock for not towing a dive flag. I think it's great that these fellows have so little else to do with their enforcement resources ... or perhaps they've simply decided to reduce their budget deficit out of the wallets of out-of-town visitors any way they can.

Dunno about anyone else, but I think I'll avoid Sund Rock for a while. Given that it costs $15 per person to get into the place, a ticket would make the dive more expensive than a nice charter with Pac Adventures anyway ... and I'd much rather be diving places like Rosie's, the Pinnacle, or Pulali Point.

I suspect if the diver traffic at Sund Rocks drops off significantly, the folks down at Mike's Dive Shop (who own access to this dive site) would lose sufficient income that they'd be willing to talk to the local constabulary about finding some other way to raise income ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was just there the past 2 weekends in a row. I haven’t heard a thing about any tickets being issued. I do know that the owners of Sund Rock "The Sund Family" launched a boat off of there Saturday. They only missed the dive flag by a few feet. About 3 mins later (at the most) an instructor and 2 students surfaced in the same spot. Mr. Sund comes down daily especially on weekends to make sure everyone has signed in over at the dive shop and is on the list. You do have to have a parking permit, but that comes with your 15.00 admission.

The Dive shop (Hoods Sport & Dive) (Ron Ault) is the one that has the contract with the Sund family on access to the dive site. He doesn't set the price he tries to keep everything going smoothly.

Bob
which forum did you find this information on? I would like to read more on this.

Thanks Allen

Huh? Is there a dive flag law in the Hood? What about all those people at Octopus Hole?

If that's the case, we'd have to avoid the entire Hood Canal.

I think a better choice would be to take your flag out about 20 yards from shore and drop it where.. ah... where you plan on staying for the entire dive, hoping for a picture or something... Oh, you didn't see my bubbles? Must be the chop. Or maybe it's 'cause this is a new style rebreather. :eyebrow:

I like the site. Parking permits? There is Public access close by, now a diver’s flag is required? Heck, maybe in a decade we will need a state appointed diver, who will guide and monitor us through the fragile underwater world, we now so brazenly enjoy.
If someone comes upon the local code or RCW please post the ordinance so we will all be advised, thanks.

For the record the folks at the dive shop do not own access to the dive site. They merely collect it for the Sund family.

The statute in question (there is a link on the other board refered to above) applies to all of Mason County not just Sund Rock.

There are silly laws like this on the books for King County as well.

The Thread on an other site on this issue has gotten very confussing. It looks like it all took place infront of the Sunrise Motel not Sund Rock or Mikes beach resort. I hope in the near future we will get the whole story, but I see no reason for any boucotts.

CustomTech:
The Thread on an other site on this issue has gotten very confussing. It looks like it all took place infront of the Sunrise Motel not Sund Rock or Mikes beach resort. I hope in the near future we will get the whole story, but I see no reason for any boucotts.
There are two separate incidents being discussed there ... one in front of Sunrise Motel and one at Sund Rock. The law being discussed applies to all of Mason County, not just one particular dive site. And it appears, due to the fact that two separate groups of divers have now been cited, that someone in the Mason County Sheriff's office has decided this is a neat way to raise funds.

The part that most concerns me is the law (as posted) states that diving without a flag is a CRIMINAL OFFENSE. This has serious implications beyond a financial fine ... if convicted you will then have a CRIMINAL RECORD. This has now been pointed out twice ... both times by people who happen to be lawyers ... so I tend to think they're not kidding.

In Mason County it IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE to dive without a flag. The flag rule's designation as a midemeanor means that (1) it carries a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail; (2) conviction goes on an individual's criminal history (effecting employment, etc.) and (3) it carries a mandatory court appearance

That seems a rather disproportionate penalty for not carrying a dive flag.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that this is really sad, that someone can get a criminal record for not having a dive flag. I believe that something needs to be done about getting the law changed. So others do not have to have the same problems.

I would be interested on know how many peple have been ticketed at the Sun Rise. I do know that one of the tickets that were issued, was due to the fact the divers came up in the middle of all the boats fishing out there. They were right in the middle and in a very dangerous spot. That diver was at the LDS and admitted that what he did was very dumb. There is a problem in that area with the fishermen and divers. It too bad they can't all just get along.

The LDS says there have been no tickets issued at Sund Rock. He did know of the problem at the Sun Rise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom