Thursday 3rd August, 2006 - Weighin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats everybody! And welcome our new posters! Good to see ya here. Almity is the "cheerleader" here, and quite inspiring!
As far as weight training, I need to work on my workout. I am jogging 5x/week (weekday mornings) and anything extra on the weekends is bonus. But since I have plateaued for so long, it was suggested to me to start some weight training. Currently I use a 4lb and 5lb soft weight (cause I don't have 2 5's) for my arms. There is some definate tone in my arms, and am now ready to take the next step. I heard someplace that using free weights instead of a machine is actually better because you don't have the "guides" or pulleys. You have to do it yourself. Whether this is true or not, I dunno, but it makes me feel better using free weights. Also, since I don't have a lot of room for machines, the space I need for free weights is rather small. Also, you can use just about anything for weights. I use my soft weights, and I have heard of people using a bag of sugar, a phone book, anything to get the resistance. Good luck everybody!!!

OH MY GOSH :shocked:

i wake up and look at the amazing, positive posts i read!!! i dont know where to start!!!

JENNY!! WOOHOOOOO and breaking that platau BUT 8 POUNDS!!! OMG!!! thats simply outstanding!!!

and whats this i see - so many menfolk now! Colby had his own harem for a while but now he has to share.

hahahaah - great news on the shopping trip Colby!! or do we call you "you sexy thang" now! how good must have you been feeliing being fitted out!

great going Hubba! heres a thought, with less money on meds you have more money for diving, gotta love that.

and welcome Ric! you have already done a fantastic job so welcome and keep plugging away at it!! i cant wait to read about your successes in future!

wow - we have all had a great weekend! and remember, its NOT just the lost pounds on the scale... its the little things like going for a walk, choosing a less fattening meal or saying no to a sugar softdrink (or icecream Jenny).... its these little things that add up to less fat and a fitter, healthier lifestyle so this week lets all try to do one new better choice this weeek and try to make it a habit.

so we still missing a few - wheres Fairy??? might have to hunt her down but in the meantime...

wow - im still in awe of all these great, positive posts... WELL DONE TEAM!!!!

WOOHOOOOOOO :wave-smil

SEE??? I told ya Almity was our Cheerleader! :)

And yes, I gave away the rum raisin icecream. I only had that small bowl that night and I took your advice and threw it away..to somebody elses freezer!

Hi everyone,

Remember me? I posted last week. I almost forgot about the Thursday thread. I've been so busy I can't believe it has already been a week. You guys have had some truly amazing results. You are definitely an inspiring group. As for me, the scale didn't move a bit. At least it didn't go up. But I am not too discouraged. Like you guys say, it's about a change to a healthy lifestyle. I need to start getting really serious, though. My cousin's wedding is the end of September. She's marrying a millionaire and I don't want to look like the "poor" fat relation. I plan on spending lots of money on a "skinny" dress if I can.

I have thought about doing some weight training, but I would like to wait until I am down about 20lbs. If I build up muscle under this fat, I will look like Arnold what's-his-name.

Keep up the good work everyone. Your progress is truly amazing :11:

Deana

g'day FL and glad you remembered us!

ohhhh, a wedding and to a rich bloke too (maybe he has a cousin for you, if youre looking that is :D)

now - DONT WAIT to start weight training (or any type of new exercise).. if its SAFE for you to do - DO IT NOW!

what you will do is turn fat into muscle... it wont show on the scales but it will show on your clothes and figure so DONT WAIT!

just a simple thing like carrying hand weights on a strong walk (which im going to do this weekend) will be a start so think about it

so thats your new goal - a sexy dress sounds TOTALLY FAB and GREAT GOING on this weeks maintance of your healthier life!!!

onwards and DOWNWARDS to next week!

Having this support group is certainly positive, glad I ran across you guys.

almitywife, I hadn't thought about using the money I save on meds for diving, what an excellent idea. Diving is how I know Larry, thepurplehammerhead, we tend to hang out at the same dive resort in the Philippines.

Funny enough, I've always thought diving was a good sport for fat people because its a sport that's fairly easy for a fat person to participate in, but I'm looking forward to having even more fun as a fit diver (and being able to buy wetsuits off the rack).

Larry, by the way, I may be moving your way, my boss is leaving and I'm being considered for the position (keep your fins crossed).

Colby, I'm jealous...new clothes...at the moment I'm trying to get by with what I have, mostly getting back in to clothes I had outgrown. As I pass through a size, I do occassionally buy one pair of jeans or something, just so I have something to wear, but no serious shopping until I hit my target of 205-210 which should be sometime next year...my original goal was end of '07, but its going so well I may be there mid-'07.

Rich, the important thing is to do something, it doesn't even have to be that intense, but longer is better (per my reading and what my doctor has told me). The doc wants me to only work out at 50-60% of my maximal heartrate, but to do it for an hour...so I select really long albums on my iPod (Londond Calling by The Clash is almost exactly 60 mins) and get on the treadmill and go...60% of my maximal heartrate is not difficult at all...to quote the evil empire "Just Do It".

Drew

Deana, like Almity says, don't weight, hehehe! Combining weight training with cardio is the best way to not only lose weight, but tone. Muscle does weigh more than fat, so the wight loss may not be as dramatic. With my first check-up 4 months into my program of weights and cardio, I had gone from 25% fat to 13% fat, losing 35 pounds of fat and gaining 5 pounds of muscle. There was no bulking up, I was thining down all over, and I will continue to do that.

Drew, I was doing the same thing with my old clothes, and had punched a third hole in my belt. I was away last weekend with my new girlfriend, and I was told outright that I needed new clothes, so off I went and started the new wardrobe. It certainly was insiring to fit into a size that I can't remember wearing.

The weekend is here folks, happy diving to all!

almitywife:
oh really!!! :eyebrow: :wink: :D :sappy:

i say no more :ignore: :D

hahahaha! It's amazing how you pulled that little piece of trivia out of that post.

You are too funny, but thanks. wink wink nudge nudge

Just have to tell everyone that I weighed again this morning (yeah I know yesterday was weighin day) and I broke through 320 lbs, I weighed 319 this morning:luxhello: :luxhello: .

Prior to yesterday's weighin I had not been to the gym for 2 days because of work committments and I had a couple of calls to make to the US last night, so I rushed home, ate a peach to get my blood sugar up a bit before going to the gym, went to the gym and came home to make the phone calls (didn't have time to make dinner), after the calls it was past 10:00pm and I wasn't real hungry so I went to bed....got up this morning and ta da 319. Next stop 310:bogey:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom