Throwback Special at Cayman Brac Beach Resort Still Available for Doubles and Single Occupancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just on the phone with the Clearly Cayman resorts. I was checking to see if availability for a 7th night has opened up yet for our Little Cayman trip later this year - but so far no luck - we are still on the waiting list.

While I was speaking with the representative I mentioned that the Throwback Special is still posted on their website for the Cayman Brac Beach Resort even though it says "book by April 26", and I was told that you can still book that special and that they still have some availability from August 31 through September.

The price of $1189 per person (double occupancy) includes accommodations, 2 valet dives per day, 2 meals per day (breakfast and dinner), airport transfers, taxes and tips (except dive shop tips) and that is a very low price for this venue in my experience.

I also asked about the single supplement for divers traveling alone and was told that the package would be $1406 for a single diver, so it would only be $217 more for a single diver - not bad - I've seen single supplements listed as high as 60% on some liveaboards.

If you wanted to add on the lunch meals for the week it would be an additional $173 per person and you can also add on the afternoon dives and/or a drinks package for an additional fee(s), if desired.

September in the Caribbean can be rainy, stormy weather - or wonderful weather - or something in between. I just wanted to share the information in case someone is looking for an economical "turnkey" fall trip and/or a single diver trip, see link below:

Brac Throwback Special - less than $170/night

Cayman Airways is still advertising low, direct fares to Grand Cayman from New York, Denver, Tampa, and Miami and they also offer a direct flight to Brac from Miami on Saturdays, by-passing Grand Cayman:

Welcome to Cayman Airways

https://www.caymanairways.com/SummerSchedule

I got an email flyer today stating that they still have some availability for this $1189 all-inclusive special at CBBR from 8/31 through 9/28; just an FYI in case someone is looking for a last-minute trip. I'm not trying to push it, but this is quite a low price for this resort.

Cayman Colors of Fall

Special $1,189 rate available for travel only to Cayman Brac Beach Resort, 8/31–9/28/19.
Package does NOT include lunch, which may be added for $173.

Wow, nice price but lunch is really expensive. Is it gourmet?
:p

Wow, nice price but lunch is really expensive. Is it gourmet?
:p

Not gourmet, the food is served buffet but it is plentiful and good. I agree that the price is high for lunch but I am sure that it includes a 15% tip, because the prices at the Clearly Cayman resorts include all resort fees, taxes and gratuities - except dive shop tips. Any food or drinks that you buy al la carte at the resort will have a 15% gratuity added to the price. There is no sales tax on items in Cayman but there is a 13% tax on hotel rooms and condos, and providers pay import fees so of course they pass that cost on to the consumer.

I don't think that is unusual in tourist destinations although sometimes it hurts. I know that the prices in Roatan often look very cheap in advertisements but then they may add on Honduran taxes up to 19% depending on the product/venue so that makes it less cheap. And if you add in tips that increases the expense. Some liveaboards are required to add on Park Fees or Harbor Fees and of course that increases the cost. I don't like it but it is just the way it is, so I try to make sure that I fully understand the pricing when comparison shopping for a trip.

Food is expensive in Cayman since it is all imported and because it is an expensive destination. Plus it is safe to eat, high-quality, and varied, and that hasn’t always been the case at some of the dive resorts we have visited . The food at the CBBR and LCBR resorts has consistently been much better than the buffet fare that we've received at some other all-inclusive resorts in the tropics and on some LOBs. In fact we always gain weight in the Sister Islands and have to work on getting it off after we get back home.

During one trip to CBBR we took a package that only included breakfast and dinner and we didn't add on lunch, mostly in an effort to avoid over-eating but also because of the expense. And we did just fine, there's no chance of starving there! We mostly ordered one lunch from the bar menu each day and shared it, because the portions are generous, or we picked up snack foods from the gift shop, but the choices were limited and not very healthy, and we didn't save that much money either. We've always taken the 3-meal packages ever since then because it is easy and convenient and tasty.

If you don't have a car then there aren't many food options near the CB resort and if you rent a car you will lose much of the economic value in not taking the full meal package. You can borrow a bike from the resort and pedal over to the Captain's Table - but it is a steamy, sweaty ride during the hottest part of the day in the tropics, and it's not practical if you want to be back in time for the afternoon dive boats - although it might help to work off any recent indulgences at the heavily laden dessert table!

Personally, I've always felt that lunch is the weakest meal at CBBR - except on Sundays which is a bigger affair. Breakfast is big with a chef on hand to make omelets per request, lots of choices on the buffet table, and a big table full of breads, cakes, muffins, and bagels.

Dinner is large and varied with a wide selection and there is usually a carving station with some kind of roast. There is always a huge dessert table at dinner and they also provide a delicious Friday night barbecue outdoors.

Lunch will include choices of salads and fruits, soup, and make your own sandwich fixings, and a couple of choices for hot food - and of course the ever-present and gigantic dessert table!

On Grand Cayman there are many dining options and well-stocked grocery stores so we prefer to rent a condo or apartment and prepare some simple meals, and then go out for a nice meal usually once a day. On Brac or Little Cayman we prefer the AI resort package for the convenience, lack of options, and because the food is good and plentiful. It's not cheap whichever way we do it.

@large_diver I am curious because you mentioned that your wife is not a diver but she is a climber, and during your recent family trip to CBBR she spent much of her time climbing the Brac bluff and biking - so what did she do for lunch meals? Did she take the 2 meal a day package and eat elsewhere during the day, or did the resort pack lunch for her to take along, or did she bring packable snacks with her to take on the climb?

Back
Top Bottom