Three Tree North

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well, I finally got around to rigging up that strobe I purchased a few months back to my Oly SP-350. Managed to get some pictures to come out, but I'm uncertain whether or not it's an improvement.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/SJ2pN8kK

Nice dive, though ... vis was pretty good, lots to see, and we were the only divers there ... I love this time of year ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grate pictures Bob. Thanks for sharing. Three Tree remains one of my favorite dive spots. How do you get the ratfish pictures without the "reflection off shiny eye drowning out the picture" problem? Photoshop? I'm not skilled...don't have it...haven't used it...but I'd love for one of my ratfish pictures to turn out...that one's great.

Love the pictures. Hard to notice much difference with the strobe...but I'm a "those are cool pictures" kind of guy, rather than a nitpicky technical camera guy. However, the right side of the pictures seem to be dimmer than the left...is the strobe on the left? I notice that with my camera (Canon A620) even with the flash diffuser. (No strobe yet...)

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Strobe's on the right. I am already seeing that the strobe arm is too short for my taste. Probably gonna sell this one and move up to a more expensive model.

Hmmm ... I think I know what to buy me for Christmas ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great pics. Loved the ratfish.

NWGratefulDiver:
Strobe's on the right. I am already seeing that the strobe arm is too short for my taste. Probably gonna sell this one and move up to a more expensive model.

Hmmm ... I think I know what to buy me for Christmas ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's been a while since I've taken some pictures and even longer since I had an independant strobe but my recollection is that at least for macro pictures one would usually place the flash on the strobe arm as close to the lens as possible to eliminate unnatural side lighting with long shadows on one side of the subject.

For larger subjects a larger arm could be better to eliminate backscatter between the lens and the subject.

Nice pics by the way.

Thanks for posting these, I think I need to take "octopus spotting" lessons!

Watch out for the just need a different X to get the shot that I want. This is a very slippery slope as I am sure you know.:D

Darnold9999:
Thanks for posting these, I think I need to take "octopus spotting" lessons!

Watch out for the just need a different X to get the shot that I want. This is a very slippery slope as I am sure you know.:D
Well, diving is kind've like skiing ... slippery slopes can turn out to be a good thing, as long as you can afford to indulge in them ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom