Three Rays and a Hooker (Warning: Graphic Images)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soloist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last week I did a late morning solo dive from “The Lake” in Bonaire. After exploring the deep western side of the outer reef I headed south into the Hilma Hooker. Incredibly the wreck was desolate, so I had the ship to myself. While swimming around the stern a group of immature eagle rays revealed themselves in the distance up on the innermost reef. They accepted me into the pack and the four of us methodically glided alongside the ship for about 10 minutes. It was an unexpected opportunity to get lots of cool video with the Hooker in the background. Please accept my apologies if you were mislead by the title.

B50F44D9-E5B2-4C2A-A6E6-AD8705A4AA07.jpeg

2F70ACA9-E7BE-4068-BE5E-E6B993FC5C04.jpeg 28626FDD-96A5-42A0-81DE-70FC3300E8E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, that's awesome!! How cool!

No apologies needed. These shots were better than anything my deranged imagination could have come up with!!! Abso-frigg’n-lutely amazing!

How cool! Were you diving a rebreather? Close circuit?

Not quite. An aluminum 80 with an Aqua Lung Mikron. They were just unbelievably tolerant of my presence.

Last week I did a late morning solo dive from “The Lake” in Bonaire. After exploring the deep western side of the outer reef I headed south into the Hilma Hooker. Incredibly the wreck was desolate, so I had the ship to myself. While swimming around the stern a group of immature eagle rays revealed themselves in the distance up on the innermost reef. They accepted me into the pack and the four of us methodically glided alongside the ship for about 10 minutes. It was an unexpected opportunity to get lots of cool video with the Hooker in the background. Please accept my apologies if you were mislead by the title.

View attachment 467284

View attachment 467286 View attachment 467285

I’m here and we saw them too but we overshot the wreck and saw them in the 2nd reef. Best excuse for getting lost.

Nice!

I bet that was an amazing experience.

Good for you ! Nice pics btw. Your story reminds me what I like best about diving : such unexpected encounters. A true gift from old mother nature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom