Three Inspirations, one Al and The Pontos Hamburg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finless

Reaction score
I had such a good time last Saturday that I feel the urge to share,

What a great dive I had on Saturday off the charter boat Inspiration (Eastbourne - English Channel, UK) - truly enjoyable despite some trials and tribulations (I'll get to those later). By any standards this was no difficult dive but, for me, it was a memorable day.

Three Inspirations and one Al? Well, we were diving with Markus and Bill off their RHIB named Inspiration. Colin (Colinicky) has just passed his Inspiration course and lastly it was an Inspiration-Al day for me.

Firstly, congratulations to Colin for:-

1. Passing his YBOD exams etc last week.

2. Finding the evidence that Markus (skipper of Inspiration, Eastbourne) believes now gives a name to a previously unnamed wreck.

Let me start off on Friday evening when I started getting my kit together. I had previously changed the threaded studs in my SS bands to fit my new SSBP and wing (practising in the pool on Monday evening). These had to be replaced and the bands repositioned so I could use my existing rig - PITA! Whilst in the pool I had noticed gas escaping from one of the inlet points on my 2 way gas switch (for my FFM). At 22:30 on Friday I decided to 'have it out and give it a clean'. All was going well until I put it back, over tightened it and stripped the thread!!! Yes, I am still sulking.

This of course meant the removal of all hoses for my FFM and repositioning the regs. Yes, I'm still cross!

Sat morning and an 08:15 ropes off and as we exit Eastbourne lock to a flat calm sea and cloudy sky all was well in the Finless world - for a while! On the boat were Colin (from same club as me) and John, Roger and Mike. Markus and Bill of Inspiration were ‘in control’.

As planned, we pootled around looking for an "alleged wreck" and, not seeing anything on the magic widget worth diving on, we moved off to dive an "unknown wreck". The sea was so calm it looked like we were floating on oil.

As kitting up time approached a slight apprehension overcame me at having to dive in one of those common ½ masks but, I suppose if the peasants can do it, I should be able to put up with it?

I opened up the 10s and checked the manifold was shut - 230 bar. Then I opened up my 3 ltr with 56% (previous 80% topped off with air) only to scare myself with a very loud hissing emanating from the first stage! Yep, you guessed it, in my haste of hose re-routing I had forgotten to put in a blanking plug! I, as did everyone else on the RHIB, had stacks of them in my toolbox in the boot of the car! ARRGGGHHHH!

Everyone else drops in whilst I once again break my kit down to remove the 3 ltr cylinder. This was extra annoying because I had very carefully routed and clipped/cable tied hoses together to keep everything neat and tidy.

OK, I'm now kitted up and checking everything for the 10th time to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything and .......... splash, right on top of the shot, another check and down I go. Oh, this is marvellous, total slack water, good vis and "FFS, there's some big bits on this wreck".

I had one reg necklaced and the other 'Hogged' so on the bottom I stopped to check the other reg was where it was supposed to be. Right, fill up the anchor lift bag and then I'm away off along the wreck. The hull was at just the right angle in the sand that I thought I was on submarine for a few seconds. I find a break in the wall of metal and swim to the other side - straight on to 2 lobsters. I pondered for a while about getting one but concluded I'm still scared of them and move off. A few minutes later I bump into one of our group (another solo'er) and he looks at me strangely as I give him a double pincer mime followed by a V sign and a point in the direction of the lobbies. Oh well, I tried.

Moving along the wreck I can see someone's torch over the hull horizon but carry on my own. There is a bit of sand and then a really big bit of wreck sticking up in the sand about 8 mtrs high (it reminded me of the prow of a ship cut off after about 4 mtrs (I'm sure it wasn't though). I have a little swim in as it is completely hollow with just a few cross members when I see, on the sand, right back where the walls meet, a humungous lobster. By this time another diver swam into view. I beckoned to him and he, being a person that likes eating lobsters, went in after it and, eventually, got it. After a couple of minutes when he had managed to get it to let go of his goody bag and then his crab hook and then his goody bag and then the first stage of his deco cylinder I noticed it was full of eggs and he had to let it go. 'He', by the way, turned out to be Colin - that is to say Colin the diver and not Colin the lobster - be sensible, Colin the lobster is on the Alaunia!).

At this time I was getting pissed off with one of my regs which not breathing nice - one hard suck and then it gushes (ooer Missus) so I stopped and opened the manifold so I could just use the good reg. By the time I had finished poncing about Colin had noticed something sticking up out of the sand with a metal plate on it saying (PONTOS HAMBURG). I looked at it without really taking it in (excitement overload perhaps). I stayed looking at the words but without really thinking. Didn’t measure the size of the item or firmly register it’s position. DOH!

We mooched around it for a bit and then I wandered off again. At about 13 mins of deco showing I went to the top of the "prow", bagged off and ended a lovely dive.

Back on the boat chatting over a coffee and a delicious piece of biscuity confectionary I announced the vis must have been 20 mtrs but the other short sighted gits said "maybe 10".

Markus got straight into action when back home and had ascertained the name Colin had found (and I verified) was indeed the name of a wreck lost in our bit of the sea and is now found and no longer an unknown or missing.

I hope to be out on the same dive as Colin when he goes back to try to recover the aforementioned piece of metal. Given its position at the bottom of what looks like a sand scour I suspect it has been buried before (and will be again).

I really wish I paid more attention during a dive or, at least, remembered more of wrecks - must take my camera next time!

Oh well, despite everything, it was one of those special days for me. The type of weather that only seems to happen on one dive day a year and then being there when the finding of something on a wreck happens – OK, it won’t be important but it means a bit to me and is probably as good as it’ll get for me. Mind you I still feel certain that a stash of dubloons and other assorted booty is waiting for me to find it ………

Indeed, I’m so pleased that I shall post this at all my dive forum haunts and then I’m going to find Colin and stand next to him and bask in his reflected glory!

Apologies for the following link which takes you to UK Dive Forum but there is more information on the vessel and the notification of the vessel name to the authoritites etc.

http://www.yorkshire-divers.co.uk/f...ead.php?t=25898

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom