Suggestion thread start date

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
partridge

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi. What do you guys think of putting a start date for each thread. We already have the date and even time of the last reply. It would be nice to have the date of when the thread was started right beside the one who started it, which is below the title.

It is mildly irritating to open up a thread that wasnt there yesterday and already has 89 replies. I'm thinking "wow hopping thread" only to find it was started in 2003.

Just a thought.

This has been suggested and would be a good idea, it is however not an option at the current time although I am still looking for creative ways to accomplish the same thing.

Is there no way of adding/reserving the last 7 characters of the title for this purpose by script when opening a new thread?
To avoid confusion since we're not all American, date format would have to be 09Aug04.

Tech Admin:
This has been suggested and would be a good idea, it is however not an option at the current time although I am still looking for creative ways to accomplish the same thing.
If you open an old thread and look at the reply number it usually starts at #1, in the top left corner of the same blue box it does give a date and time, for example the thread "Teaching Computers in OW class vs table" shows a date of 08-02-2004 and time of 03:46 pm is this not when the thread was started?

I know if it's a new thread it will show "yesterday" or "today" but as the thread gets older the dates do appear, or I'm I missing the point of THIS thread?

miketsp, I will see what we can do!

Or append it to the beginning of each message. That way it wouls show in the preview of message #1 when the cursor is place on the thread title. That would at least save the loading time.

getwet2:
or I'm I missing the point of THIS thread?

You are right that you can see the thread start date if you open the thread. My original intention was to get it on the openning list of the forum. That way you don't have to open the thread. Some countries, internet is still very slow and it takes a while to open a thread, with all the pics and avatars. just to find out it is a year old. I know the server is keeping track of this data so did not think it would be too difficult to put it on the list of threads. However, I am sure the people in charge will do it if it is feasible and will benefit most.

miketsp:
Is there no way of adding/reserving the last 7 characters of the title for this purpose by script when opening a new thread?
To avoid confusion since we're not all American, date format would have to be 09Aug04.

Are you foreign types that confused when a date is expressed Aug 9, 2004?

theskull

partridge:
You are right that you can see the thread start date if you open the thread. My original intention was to get it on the openning list of the forum. That way you don't have to open the thread. Some countries, internet is still very slow and it takes a while to open a thread, with all the pics and avatars. just to find out it is a year old. I know the server is keeping track of this data so did not think it would be too difficult to put it on the list of threads. However, I am sure the people in charge will do it if it is feasible and will benefit most.
Oh, I gotcha now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom