Thread split: CNS toxicity limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think it is possible to cite a reference showing the data is useful? Anecdotally, I have not found it to be remotely accurate in predicting tox.
Okay, I’m not a technical diver, nor do I dive a rebreather. I’m an old-style antiquated vintage diver using open circuit (I collect and dive old regulators too). But reading this, I thought I’d go to Google Scholar and see if there was anything I could find, and I did find something you might be interested in.

As a retired industrial hygienist, I would like to suggest that limits for CNS are applied so as to protect the greatest number of divers possible without incurring an incident. While violating these limits can be done, you may not understand the underlying physiological reasoning behind the limits presented.

In the occupational health realm, we have the OSHA limits, or Permissible Exposure Limits to chemical hazards. Because these must be put in place in a public forum with hearings, they are now rarely updated because of the type of process they must go through. But another organization, the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, update their Threshold Limit Values regularly, based upon the latest scientific knowledge. The ACGIH TLVs are usually much lower than OSHA’s PELs.

I’d suggest that the problems you are having with the CNS recommendations may be in the same vein, and be the best recommendations for keeping the greatest number of divers from having CNS effects, regardless of the experiences of some who’s “bent” or “broken” these recommendations over and over again.

For instance, on pages 46 and 47 of this above publication, they talk about the high percentage of oxygen in the mix leading to a decrease in the lung’s vital capacity. This is not something that you as a diver will perceive without testing for it. So there are potentially other effects than a CNS “hit” with convulsions that come into some of these recommendations.

SeaRat

I think it’s that the CNS clock is apparently
  • Level IX: Evidence from opinion of authorities and/or reports of expert committee
Which is better than “I pulled it out of my ass”, but not much. These opinion based policies have, over the last few years, been shown to be highly susceptible to groupthink and rationalizations.

The ‘pulmonary clock’ is evidence based (this predictably happens in hospitals to patients who need extended O2), and the CNS limits are based on careful studies modified by forensics analyzing actual incidents.

But the CNS clock doesn’t seem to be anything like these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom