Thoughts on self servicing your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
1.) Is it hard to learn?
2.) Are the tools to do so properly expensive?
3.) Bad idea, or just fine idea?

Wondering primarily because I'll be using Beuchat equipment, at least to start, because it was given as a gift. Great deal! :) However, I can't seem to find anyone in the States that will service this (just Europe/UK/Australia). I live in Portland, OR - Pacific Northwest.

If you can get parts and the proper service manuals go for it!
I don't know anything about Beuchat but somebody here may know more where to get parts, if they're easy to work on, or a PITA, etc.
If it was my reg I would probably find myself tearing it down and seeing how it's built, but that's just me. I've demystified many a reg that way.
I'm always going to be pro self service and encourage others to learn their gear and tinker.

If you have the DIY mindset, encourage it.

Before you start, though, be sure you have a source of parts, and a friendly tech in case you mess up.

I can't seem to find anyone in the States that will service this
Malibu Dive Repair
Factory certified by Aeris, Apeks, Aqualung, Atomic, Beuchat, Dacor, DiveRite, Genesis, Hollis, Mares, Oceanic, OTS, Poseidon, Scubapro, Sherwood, Suunto, Spare Air, Tusa, and US Divers. Oxygen service and cleaning also available.

The limiting factor is the availability of parts (service kits). You need a basic understanding of how the regulator works and some mechanical ability. Everything else is available on the internet (books, service manuals and tools). If you just want to save a few bucks, then it is the wrong reason. I started on that path a few years ago and it costs me more to DIY than to have it serviced by my LDS (caveat: I live in the Philippines where labor cost is cheap). I'm anal about my equipment and after a few issues w/ the service I decided to do it myself.

I got hold of a Dacor Service Manual while buying some used stuff. Most of it applies to other brands too. Like Pao said you can download manuals for many different manufacturers. You can also download the manual for doing visual inspections for tanks. This saved me from bothering to take in two aluminum tanks for hydro--I rejected them myself. For me it's reassuring to know the condition of my regulators and valves etc and not just trusting the opinion of a service technician that I don't know. Plus if there is a problem I can fix it myself right away (usually) and not have to drop it off somewhere and wait.

1.) Is it hard to learn?
More importantly: are you capable? Gear servicing is trivial for me, impossible for my divebuddy.

Some people are unable to troubleshoot / repair simple household items. If your mechanical abilities top out at light bulb swapping then you likely should not be fiddling with your gear.

I claim it is important to understand how things work so that you can properly troubleshoot and maintain them. Simple part swapping is not the road to success.

Example: On a recent trip a diver brought a new piece of equipment that they could not make function properly. It was an air horn attachment gizmo to be inserted between BCD and LP hose. once inserted his BCD inflator did not work. He (and the crew) fiddled with it for over an hour. They were randomly connecting and disconnecting various stuff. They were able to get it working on a different BCD but were mystified why it would not work on his BCD. I got involved when they asked if they could test the gizmo on my BCD. I asked about the problem, then took a quick look at the connectors. They were just slightly different. The gizmo outlet connector was longer, too much longer. It was bottoming out and prevented proper engagement with his BCD. Problem identified in less than a minute once the proper perspective was taken.

1.) Is it hard to learn?

That depends on your background. If you can overhaul the carburetor on your lawn mower, or replace the head gasket on your car, you will not find regulator service to be difficult.

That depends on what you already have, how good a mechanic you are, and on how fiddly the particular regs you're working on happen to be.

The only tool I've purchased specifically for reg service is a rod that screws into one of the ports, used to hold the reg in place. It was under $20. But then I already had a couple of torque wrenches, three kinds of snap ring pliers, an IP gauge, o-ring picks, hex keys, a vise, crowfoot wrenches, etc etc etc.

Skill wise, you can get a reassembly jig for the Conshelf XVI regs that I dive. Over $100 I believe. Handy to have. But for the first Conshelf reg I serviced, I made my own jig out of a couple pieces of wood. On the second Conshelf regulator I serviced, I figured out that my fingers are strong enough that I can reassemble it with just my hands and a snap ring pliers. It's awkward to do and I'm sure there are some people who couldn't do it without the jig.

You have to decide for yourself.

I believe I dive safer doing my own regulator servicing than I would relying on others.

Two issues. Parts availability, including any special service procedures or techniques they may require, and your personal skills.

A *good* shop is actually worth their high prices, because good work requires a lot of uninterrupted, patient, careful work. And having said that, I've had enough alleged professionals with all the high certifications screw up my gear, as have other divers, so that I'd rather do the maintenance myself whenever that is safe and feasible.

If you can--or have--changed your own car brakes, rebuilt brake cylinders, worked on diesel high pressure fuel systems, or done anything similar, you can certainly rebuild most scuba equipment. You can't make assumptions, you need to be Real Damn Sure you are using the correct lubricants--or not using any. And if there are any torque settings involved, you can't just guess them.

And of course, make a chicken dive that you can easily and safely abort after you've worked on the gear--just in case there is a problem.

My buddy had his gear overhauled before a vacation, by a "real good" shop. Jumped off the boat, five minutes later the divemaster signals him topside. The new o-ring on his high pressure hose had been pinched, not seated, and he was bubbling away behind his head. A really good shop would have tested that job, with soap spray or a dunk tank or even a simply sharper eyeball and more careful assembly. But, when the phone is ringing, the customers are coming in the front door, and someone wants to know what to order for lunch...Professional work will not happen in that environment.

Back
Top Bottom