Thoughts on octo/power-inflator combos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One annoying and potentially dangerous feature of AIRII type inflators is that the deflate and power inflate buttons are often on the side and opposite each other.
I had the unpleasant experience of having to dive my old jacket last weekend and had forgotten this. As a result, I found myself adding air at the same time I was trying to dump. It's not a huge adjustment to avoid this, but it could be an issue for a newer diver who is trying to avoid corking. The higher the stress, the more likely the possibility.

I have to agree with all the comments before. The bungied back up is definitely the way to go. And, if you use the same setup each time, you will always know what to do in an emergency. I have seen several divers try and use something like an AirII and each one has regretted it and then dropped it in favor of the bungie.

Every time this gear topic comes up there's the "one less hose" argument which generally doesn't notice that the Air2 is a big dangly clunky thing on a ~4" longer inflator hose. Even if the buttons and bouyancy vs breathing issues were 100% ironed out (they aren't IMO), I'd much rather have a bungied backup right at my chin than a big floppy reg on the end of my power inflator.

Thats what I am saying. bungeed the backup in all situations.
Deep, Cold, Warm Clear. Whatever.
. . .
If you want streamline, the bungeed backup is the way to go.

You asked and I offered. Now it seems your arguing for the Air2.
If you already made up your mind then why ask?

I haven't made up my mind about whether to do it, but I did make up my mind that I'm not concerned about the safety impact of using it as an Octo in an OOA situation. I wasn't arguing with you, but trying to focus on the bulkiness-dangling-have-people-had-issues aspect of the problem.

Don't walk, RUN away from those. There are many reasons: Do you want to try to control your buoyancy with that thing while somebody (you or a panicking buddy) is breathing on it? Do you want a panicked diver to try to figure out which regulator to go for and possibly figure out how to operate the Air2? Do you want a non-standard hose? Do you want different sets of gear that are drastically different? The answer to each one of those questions should be NO.

I haven't made up my mind about whether to do it, but I did make up my mind that I'm not concerned about the safety impact of using it as an Octo in an OOA situation. I wasn't arguing with you, but trying to focus on the bulkiness-dangling-have-people-had-issues aspect of the problem.

The control of bouyancy while trying to breath on it IS the problem. While this peice of gear may be a minimalist peice of kit, its not a minimalist task load. The clunky dangly issue is just icing.

Combo octo/inflators are like those little donut spare tires: They seem like a good idea, right up until the point that you have to actually use it.

Switching setups like that means you have to set the situation in your brain before every dive because your response is going to be different, not optimal. This is in addition to what everyone else has posted.

I'm a little confused as to how you are going to go from doubles to singles by dropping one reg. I'm thinking you have your backup, inflator and SPG on your left post? Otherwise you're talking about an extra hose on your doubles.

Oh yeah, don't forget the AIR2's have non-standard fittings, so you can't just straight swap.

I was considering this back in the day and am thankful I didn't go for it. I "suffered" through re-arranging regs until I bought H-valves for my singles... blessed be the day! :)

My view is that if ain't broke, don't fix it. In other words, the AirII fixes a problem that doesn't exist.

Next point is, borrow one and try to an OOA with it. Good luck managing buoyancy and breathing at the same time with your BC inflater in your mouth.

Bungied back-up and at least 5' hose to hand off is the easiest way to go.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom