Thoughts on DGX 600 as primary dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@stuartv did you end up getting this light and how did it compare to the dgx 600?

Wow. That seems SO long ago.

IIRC, that is the light that I lost soon after I got it. I had tied a bolt snap to it in the standard way, using cave line. A sharp edge in the lanyard hole on the light cut through that line and I came up from a dive down in NC with the bolt snap still clipped to me but the light gone.

I got very little use out of it before I lost it.

Since then, though, I moved on to a light that I think is better. The Xtar D26 Whale. A bit more expensive than that SecurityING light was. But, the D26 uses one 26650 battery, instead of an 18650, so it has a fair bit more burn time. And uses the same LED emitter, so about the same brightness.

Most recently, Xtar came out with a newer version, the D26 1600. I got one of those, too, but the jury is still out. It is quite a bit brighter (thanks to a Cree XHP35 LED emitter) and has a tighter beam. But, mine was from early production and has 2 electronics issues. I have been in contact with Xtar about it. They know about the issues and have supposedly fixed them. They have told me they are sending me a replacement light with their updated construction and electronics. It is supposed to arrive next week. If the 2 issues are fixed, it will be a fantastic cordless diving light. Certainly, the best that I know of in the price range of less than $200 - 300. And it is actually less than $100.

Hi,

Pointing out that DGX now has a button DGX600. This version has high low and strobe.

So they have a twist, button and a push version.

They also have a wide angle video light with no spot. I use a hog morph video as my main on tropical night dives. I highly recommend wide angle lights for night tropical. The spots scare everything. Use the spots for backups.

I carry a DGX PUSH with the rear button as my night time backup and spot light during the day.

Hi,

Pointing out that DGX now has a button DGX600. This version has high low and strobe.

Thanks for posting that. I did not know the DGX Push had multiple brightness options. Good info!

I'll most likely be getting the dgx 600 flood push for caribbean night dives, unless theres an equivalent that uses a 26650 battery?

The Xtar D26 Whale is an equivalent that uses a 26650. I have 2 of them and they are great lights. My two pushed my 2 DGX 600 lights into my spares bin. Basically the same brightness (on High) as the DGX. Push button on the side, instead of the tail. But, it has a 1/4 turn twist-to-lock feature, so I think it's great. Without the twist-to-lock, I wouldn't like it because of turning it on accidentally. It has 4 brightness levels. It has a colored LED next to the on/off button that tells you battery status. It's just a little thicker than the DGX and just a little longer. It has a nice, tight beam. And I think in Turbo mode it's actually just a little brighter than the DGX.

I haven't checked lately, but they were around $65 on eBay, brand new (for the light with no battery or charger - it does come with a sleeve to let you use an 18650 battery in it).

It's just the new Xtar D26 1600 that is (or was? We'll see soon) having issues.

Yes, but the d26 is spot not flood . I have a new DR cx1 for spot which is amazing. Im looking for another spot (d26 1600 if its fixed) + a flood. Havent found a 26650 flood yet that is sized like the d26 or smaller.

Yes, but the d26 is spot not flood . I have a new DR cx1 for spot which is amazing. Im looking for another spot (d26 1600 if its fixed) + a flood. Havent found a 26650 flood yet that is sized like the d26 or smaller.

Ah. Sorry. My bad.

Look on Amazon. Search for the Evolva D02. I have 2 of them but I really have used them very little.

I just bought a couple dgx 600 button lights (liked the slightly smaller size over the d26). Wanted the push but it is only the button version that has 3 modes. It is a solid light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom