Thoughts on Bounce Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quinn Ross

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's generally accepted that at about 217 feet air becomes toxic. Go deeper on air and do so at your terminal peril. A fast descent to about 200 on air with controlled ascent using recreational limits is totally dooable on a normal size tank as a first dive (i.e. no residual Nitrogen). The risk in this dive is the narcosis that you WILL experience. Tunnel vision. Potentially magical thinking. Lack of focus. Now, on their own these things aren't that big of a deal and can be fun, but when you are dropping like a rock and supposed to be paying ABSOLUTE STRICK UNWAVERING attention to your depth gauge, narcosis can be deadly. In sum, don't bounce unless you go with an experienced diver who understands the physiology and has some emergency diving experience.

Without reference to personal beliefs vis a vis whether bounces are dumb... Thoughts or concerns of a technical nature would be great.

How about redundancy?

My brother bounced to 200' off San Diego on a single tank decades ago. He said the narcosis was incredible and he had all he could do to watch his gauge and go up after hitting 200. Later on at supper his eyes were burning, but nothing else. Said it was the stupidest thing he ever did.

Why would going with an experienced diver magically make a bounce dive like this safer?There are numerous threads about experienced divers with single tanks getting into serious trouble on bounce dives. One fatality and serious bends in Cozumel comes to mind. Another fatality in the Seattle area.I don't do any deep or solo dives without redundancy. Bounce dives area waste of time. Very deep dives on a single Alu tank are IMO foolhardy.

Stupid....

Jim...

I personaly wouldn't do them. Spearos bounce dive all the time at the rigs and there have been many fatalities there.

The most famous ScubaBoard example of a deep bounce dive on air took place several years ago in Cozumel. An experienced dive shop owner, one of her divemasters, and a good friend planned a bounce dive to 300 feet on air. I have heard two similar versions of what happened. One is that at 300 feet the dive shop owner was so narced that she continued downward, and the other is that she actually passed out and continued downward. In either case, her divemaster went after her and turned her around, and the three of them finished their ascent buddy breathing off of the one tank they had between them that still had air. They could not do any decompression.

She died. The last I heard, the DM is not expected to walk again. The third had not gone as deep and is apparently OK.

Technical divers who routinely go to those depths do so with ample equipment, gas, and training to make the dives very safe. If you do not have that equipment, gas, and training, then you are taking a major risk, with or without an experienced buddy.

Long ago but not so far away, some buddies and I did bounce dives to 150 - 170FSW on 72 LP tanks. Why? Because there was nobody there with enough brains to stop us. We were lucky being as young and inexperienced as we were to have survived those dives. I'd need a very good reason to bounce to 200FSW these days; off hand I can't think of one. At 200FSW on air things are happening a lot faster than one can react.

It's generally accepted that at about 217 feet air becomes toxic. Go deeper on air and do so at your terminal peril. A fast descent to about 200 on air with controlled ascent using recreational limits is totally dooable on a normal size tank as a first dive (i.e. no residual Nitrogen). The risk in this dive is the narcosis that you WILL experience. Tunnel vision. Potentially magical thinking. Lack of focus. Now, on their own these things aren't that big of a deal and can be fun, but when you are dropping like a rock and supposed to be paying ABSOLUTE STRICK UNWAVERING attention to your depth gauge, narcosis can be deadly. In sum, don't bounce unless you go with an experienced diver who understands the physiology and has some emergency diving experience.

Without reference to personal beliefs vis a vis whether bounces are dumb... Thoughts or concerns of a technical nature would be great.

I've done many short duration dives to a depth of around 200 ft on air. Reading your comments, I very much doubt that you have done anything similar.

First of all, doing any deep dive with a single tank (i.e., no redundancy) is risky and stupid, in my opinion.

Second, 218 ft on air is NOT poison. oxygen toxicity on your stated scenario is probably the least of your worries.

Third, leading people to believe that being accompanied by an experienced diver who has emergency experience is pretty silly, because if he is also diving on a single small tank at 200 ft - his ability to do much of anything to help is pretty damn limited.

Fourth, the misconception that you must concentrate on the depth guage is very, very bad advice. In fact, the exact depth is the least of your worries on such a dive. You need to be NOT focusing on ANYTHING and MUST be focusing on a lot of things simultaneously including: your exertion level, time, air pressure, dive buddy location and all the other things you are trying to accomplish during this bounce dive.

Fifth, you statement that tunnel vision alone is NOT that big of a deal is DEAD wrong as well.

So.. you got pretty much EVERYTHING wrong except for the statement that narcosis is dangerous at 200 on air.

Bounce diving on air to 200 ft is unwise and not recommended by any agency.

IF you are gonna do it, you need to slowly work up to it. Some people will NEVER, EVER be able to do it with any semblance of safety and self awareness. A lot better to find this out at 140 than 200 feet.

In any regard, you are going to be very, very hard pressed to find a responsible, experienced and a safety conscious mentor to accompany you on these sort of single tank, deep air bounces..

Back
Top Bottom