Thoughts on Balance, Ranger and Concept II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike126

Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted to get thoughts on the Balance, Ranger, and Concept II BCs. I've done a fair amount of reading but needed some owner feedback.

Based on my size and dive profile, I'm looking at a lift requirement of around 33 pounds. This is based on the Rodale's Bouyancy Calculator. I think that rules out the Brigade, although I like the setup I'm not sure it's enough lift. So I started to look at the Concept II, Ranger and Balance. All three fall within 40 - 44 pounds of lift which should give me enough reserve.

My thoughts from reading and not diving them:

Ranger - Since I don't do any technical dives or twin tanks I'm thinking this might be a little over kill for a recreational BC.

Concept II - It appears this is a non-technical version of the Ranger, fewer D rings and the side panels are smaller. I assume it has the same pockets.

Balance - Seems to be a recreational BC with D rings. I'm not sure how functional the pocket is. Does the Balance fit lower to the waist like the Zeagles?

I don't need a lot of D-rings. Enough to attach my octo and a light. I would like a functional pocket to put a small water tight box for keys etc. in.

I do like the idea that Zeagle is made here in the US and that Scott is online for any help.

So any feedback on the 3 would be helpful. Did I assess them correctly?

I'm hoping to find an LDS near by that I can try them on.

I know if I don't dive a BP/W I'll die. But that's a whole other story! :D

Thanks, Mike

All my diving is done in the Caribbean and the Zeagle Brigade with 35 pounds of lift fits the bill perfectly and for $360 after SB discount how can you go wrong?

I have a Balance and like it. The pocket works well. It unrolls to get a lot of room if you need it and is usable folded as well. It is missing a ring in the pocket but that was fixed easily. The Balance packs very small and is great for rec diving. It doesn't have a cumberbund but I like that. The only thing I don't like about it is the single tank strap. The weight system works well and is secure. To me, the Ranger seemed overkill for rec diving that would include travel. I know several people that have the Brigade and Stiletto really like them as well.

All 3 are good BC's, but I own a Ranger because I think it's the best BC made. It's the toughest of the bunch and Zeagle's customer service is the best on the planet. The adjustability options are super cool, too_Overkill for rec diving? Possibly, but I call it excess capability.

My diving is mostly cold water, so I need a BC that can handle the weight/lift for that. My Ranger can handle twin tanks, but I almost always dive a single.

Another vote for the balance,I've had mine for a couple hundred dives and its still like new. Hauled it from lakes to quarries and St Thomas to Cozumel. My buddy uses a ScubaPro Nighthawk and I like it also.

Mike126:
I wanted to get thoughts on the Balance, Ranger, and Concept II BCs. I've done a fair amount of reading but needed some owner feedback.

Based on my size and dive profile, I'm looking at a lift requirement of around 33 pounds. This is based on the Rodale's Bouyancy Calculator. I think that rules out the Brigade, although I like the setup I'm not sure it's enough lift. So I started to look at the Concept II, Ranger and Balance. All three fall within 40 - 44 pounds of lift which should give me enough reserve.

My thoughts from reading and not diving them:

Ranger - Since I don't do any technical dives or twin tanks I'm thinking this might be a little over kill for a recreational BC.

Concept II - It appears this is a non-technical version of the Ranger, fewer D rings and the side panels are smaller. I assume it has the same pockets.

Balance - Seems to be a recreational BC with D rings. I'm not sure how functional the pocket is. Does the Balance fit lower to the waist like the Zeagles?

I don't need a lot of D-rings. Enough to attach my octo and a light. I would like a functional pocket to put a small water tight box for keys etc. in.

I do like the idea that Zeagle is made here in the US and that Scott is online for any help.

So any feedback on the 3 would be helpful. Did I assess them correctly?

I'm hoping to find an LDS near by that I can try them on.

I know if I don't dive a BP/W I'll die. But that's a whole other story! :D

Thanks, Mike

I have a Concept II, and it is a great BC, but I wanted to let you know that it does not have pockets like the ranger. It Does have trim weight pockets on the back, but not the "storage" pockets on the front like the ranger.
HTH

I own a Balance, my main dive buddy owns a Balance and has recently purchased a Ranger.

The Balance is a good recreational BC. Its pocket is useful, it's got adaquate lift for most rec diving situations, the weight pockets work really well, it packs down small for travel and it's well made. I've nearly 160 dives on mine. The newer models ('05 and beyond) have an extra shoulder dump valve as well, which sadly mine doesn't have.

All that being said, I too am now considering a new BC/wing. Once you start getting into a little more advanced diving something like the Ranger offers more of what you need. Improved lift, more attachments points, flexibility in setup, etc. However, it comes at a price: size (not good for travel) and cost.

So I guess it depends what you intent to do. If you're looking to do most of your diving while traveling and plan to stick mainly to rec diving the Balance is what you need. If most of your diving is local and you're thinking of more advanced diving in time then the Ranger would be a great bet.

Whatever I end up purchasing, I shall certainly be keeping my Balance for travel.

Hope that helps,

Grey_Wulff

Another vote for the Balance. It packs better for travel. If I did not intend on traveling with my BCD I would go for a Ranger. All three BCD's you have chosen are top of the line. You will not go wrong with any of them. Good luck!

You should try on the Ranger, it's a very bulky BCD. Perfect for my cold water diving at home, but I seriously would want to carry it on vacation. My friends dive Balance, it seems to be light and compact. I never seen the Concept II in person, so I can't say anything about it. Balance would do fine according to your dive profile listed.

Please ignore my sig, it is sarcasm.

I will pimp the Ranger. Its tough as nails, dives well, and is backed by tremendous customer service. I will be in Zephyrhills in the fall, and want to visit the plant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom