Thoughts on an S80..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy:
Manta, Thanks for the tip. On one recent dive my fingers were so cold I couldn't feel the shutter button! I don't think I could have held onto a dowel.

lol That's why you tie a loop around your thumb or a couple of fingers. :)

I dunno how you guys do it. I love the sun. The snow is ok, I can't even imagine what it's like in freezing water. Was in 60 degree water in ecuador, and that was about enough for me. heh.

CompuDude:
The only thing I would say is you may want to consider the Ikelite case over the Canon case. It definitely costs more, but it gives you access to the wheel selector, instead of using a push-multiple-buttons workaround the canon case uses. Also, the o-ring seal is much better and easier to inspect.

I was deciding between the ikelite and the canon housing. The ikelite was sturdier and larger but I couldn't justify the cost difference. Especially, when I learned that the canon case does give you access to the wheel selector. I got the housing in a few weeks ago and really like it.

belligerentbear:
hey compudude,
do you have a strobe with your ikelite housing? Or do you just have the housing and the camera so far?
Just the housing and the camera. Hope to buy a strobe in the next couple of months, but so far, that's all I have.

tkring:
I was deciding between the ikelite and the canon housing. The ikelite was sturdier and larger but I couldn't justify the cost difference. Especially, when I learned that the canon case does give you access to the wheel selector. I got the housing in a few weeks ago and really like it.
There is a way to push a bunch of buttons to emulate turning the wheel, as I understand it, but you can't actually turn the wheel. At least, that's what I was given to understand. Is this false information?

See: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=138417

There is indeed a workaround, but I'd rather turn the wheel.

One other thing I prefer about the Ike case: No plastic hinges. It's not that the doesn't hinge work well, it's that it's a sand magnet, and I do a lot of beach diving. And once sand gets in there, it's crunch crunch creak every time you open the case. No way to completely get it out short of taking out the screws... and the plastic is brittle enough it's clear that if you do that too many times you'll kill your housing.

Man i just tool a look at this camera at the store and it looks and feels like it has alot of performance. Any reviews on the canon made underwater housing? I just wanted to see if the Ike was worth it.

Ooops I just looked above the reply above. Sorry people trigger happy Like ill be when I buy a setup for my underwater adventures. I just developed my disposable underwater camera and I got a couple of good shots in. Its just not cost effective for me to try and capture fish on film. 18 bucks for film and developing.

CompuDude:
There is a way to push a bunch of buttons to emulate turning the wheel, as I understand it, but you can't actually turn the wheel. At least, that's what I was given to understand. Is this false information?

I was told this too but again couldn't justify the cost difference ($200) between the Canon and the Ikelite. Therefore, I was happily surpised when the Canon housing arrived that I did have access to the wheel. There is a blue dial on the right side of the housing that accesses it. So ... yes, the Canon housing allows you to turn the wheel with the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom