Thoughts on an S80..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winesmile

Registered
Reaction score
Had a look at an S80 with a WP-DC1 today - Any thoughts on the camera?? I was hoping for something a bit cheaper, but if that's a good UW cam. I'll go with it.

The reason that I picked the S80 besides all of the manual functions was due to the standard wide angle lens. Its not that wide of an angle but it is wider then 95% of the other digital cameras.

I paid less then 600USD for camera, UW case , 1GB card and 2 extra batteries....I thought that was a good deal.

I got the S80 because it is substantially faster than most P&S cameras. Very happy with it on the surface at the moment - yet to get it wet - too busy paying for all my toys......:sad:...

I got the S80 instead of the SP-350 because of the wider angle lens AND because of the reviews (particulary DPReview) of the picture quality. After using it on several (more than 10) dives, I'm still attempting to master it. (And I suppose I will still be attempting to master it after 100 dives!)

I'm very pleased with it -- picture quality is fabulous, speed is great, flexibility great -- the only "objection" I have is that using it in cold water (that is with heavy gloves) takes a lot of care in pushing the right buttons. (But I have a sneaking suspicion ALL cameras are going to be tricky that way!)

I'm very pleased with it.

Peter Guy:
I got the S80 instead of the SP-350 because of the wider angle lens AND because of the reviews (particulary DPReview) of the picture quality. After using it on several (more than 10) dives, I'm still attempting to master it. (And I suppose I will still be attempting to master it after 100 dives!)

I'm very pleased with it -- picture quality is fabulous, speed is great, flexibility great -- the only "objection" I have is that using it in cold water (that is with heavy gloves) takes a lot of care in pushing the right buttons. (But I have a sneaking suspicion ALL cameras are going to be tricky that way!)

I'm very pleased with it.
Cold water? That is not a problem for us warm water wuzzies :}o

I just returned from my first trip out with my new S80, and I definitely love the camera. It's not as bone-head easy to use as my SD550, but I know I'm going to want to have that manual control as I get better.

The only thing I would say is you may want to consider the Ikelite case over the Canon case. It definitely costs more, but it gives you access to the wheel selector, instead of using a push-multiple-buttons workaround the canon case uses. Also, the o-ring seal is much better and easier to inspect.

Peter Guy:
the only "objection" I have is that using it in cold water (that is with heavy gloves) takes a lot of care in pushing the right buttons.

I recommend looking into taking a small wooden dowel with you. You could even work on attaching a loop on one end and putting it around your thumb to keep it readily available. Just a little trick I picked up filming in the snow; works great with arctic-class mittens, so should be wonderful underwater.

Manta, Thanks for the tip. On one recent dive my fingers were so cold I couldn't feel the shutter button! I don't think I could have held onto a dowel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom