Thoughts from a galleyhand.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeamWaldenDiving:
Some people don't appreciate my candor, or perhaps it'y my free thinking on some subjects. Or rather they prefer that I keep my opinions to myself on some things. I cannot, nor will I even try to please everyone. I'll never be Mr. Congeniality!
At least not on here!

While I can appreciate your point, please keep in mind that it is THEIR money and THEIR dive trip.

If they want to dive all of the available dives OR none of the available dives, it is still THEIR trip!

If these people get home and deeply regret their decision to blow off one or more of the dives, hopefully they will learn a valuable lesson.

If they get home without some of their equipment due to carelessness, hopefully they will learn a valuable lesson from that too.

I was not arguing that with anyone. I was not instructing, demanding, forcing, telling or directing anyone in any way whatsoever. I was stating my opinion. I thought that's what web forums were for, to express our opinions? Perhaps I was wrong in this thinking? Perhaps it's so some people can imply that the thoughts of others are simply put out there for their own personal amusement in order to fuel their narcissim? Perhaps it's all one big bait and switch meant to get the real opinions and thoughts of the layman so that other more superior people can condescend to impart their impressions of layman's thoughts and further display their superiority? Perhaps some people don't realize that their comments could be construed as condescending to others and don't read their own posts with objectivity, which maybe they should do from time to time. I myself am guilty of this from time to time, but do make efforts to clarify something that could be misunderstood.

TeamWaldenDiving:
Sorry I just got a little peeved there.

You seemed peeved from the very beginning of this thread for some reason. You were in defensive mode before the first reply.

TeamWaldenDiving:
I was saying that a lot oif people "Claim" their reason for not diving is that they want a beer. IMO I would rather go dive, come back and have a beer. I guess I just have a problem with people who aren't being honest with themselves, and thereore me.
I, for one, do appreciate your candor. Basically you're saying you would rather have me tell you my period has decided to start two days early, I've started cramping like crazy and just passed a blood clot the size of a silver dollar after the last dive so I'm skipping the next one. Most people would consider that "TMI" and would rather I just said, "I feel like having a beer." :rofl3: I'm always willing to share the real reason I skip a dive but I do ask if you really want to know before I go into the description :D
Ber :lilbunny:

TeamWaldenDiving:
I was saying that a lot oif people "Claim" their reason for not diving is that they want a beer. IMO I would rather go dive, come back and have a beer. I guess I just have a problem with people who aren't being honest with themselves, and thereore me.

Well, I was kinda on your side before this one. Unless you have a legitimate 'need' to know to help do your job informing the boat DMs etc. of the fitness of a given passenger, why do you care if people put a brave face on it and say they want a beer rather than "I'm tired", "I've got a bad case of wetsuit rash and sunburn on my neck and want a break", or "I got sat-out by violating 100 feet"? I didn't hide my reasons for skipping a dive, so I've got no personal beef here, but those who do probably know its pretty transparent to DMs and crew who've seen it all before...

Ah well, no need responding; not trying to flame you; just confused about why you'd be so concerned with 'honesty'. Otherwise I thought much of your advice was great.

Ber Rabbit hit the nail on the head, too. Man, that would be a very serious case of TMI in my opinion! I'd *buy* you a beer to not hear the truth!! :wink:

A common complaint from students and or divers who are nervous or having problems etc. is they are having "ear trouble". It's one thing we learned in DM class to be on the lookout for.

Ber rabbit you crack me up, that was funny as hell. :rofl3: I have skipped my fair share of dives on the Gulf boats and other dive trips. Makes me wish I had sat out one or two before I got bent during the coral spawning. Might have made all the difference. I bet.

RTRski:
Ber Rabbit hit the nail on the head, too. Man, that would be a very serious case of TMI in my opinion! I'd *buy* you a beer to not hear the truth!! :wink:

That's why I usually tell people my sinuses are all jacked up :D Any time I say "You don't want to know", trust me you'll probably be sorry you asked if you insist on knowing." :confused:
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom