Thoughts from a galleyhand.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeamWaldenDiving

Registered
Reaction score
I work the Galley on the Spree & Fling from time to time. I've seen people make quite a few mistakes, and seen some folks who do some good things.

A) Keep your stuff together, I've seen people's masks, gloves and booties shift down several places from where they were from disorganization.

B) I've seen people pay $400+ to go out to the Gardens and then skip dives when they're not sea sick and say they like night dives. These people just want to have a beer instead. You paid $400+, go get what you've paid for.

C) If you get sea sick, let someone on the crew know so we can try to help you out and keep an eye on you.

D)If both boats are out, when you come up to the down lines to do your safety stop, look at the hull above you, you may be on the wrong boat. The Spree has "Spree" on the hull in 8 foot black letters.

E) If you need or want something from the galley just ask, we might have it and we're there to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

F) Listen to the briefings on the way out on the first night. They're important. I've seen people sleeping and nodding off during the briefs. Then they end up asking questions that have already been covered during the briefings.

G) When you're getting your food rom the line, please don't be a hog. I promise you won't go hungry. Give everyone else a chance to go through the line. Come back for seconds and thirds if need be, theere may be something that wasn't there before.

If I come up with more I'll add to this.

The above "Thoughts" are nothing more than my own personal opinions. This is what I think and what I feel and are really nothing more than suggestions. They are in no way the thoughts, ideas or views of the owners, operators or other crew members of the boats on which I have worked.

TeamWaldenDiving:
I work the Galley on the Spree & Fling from time to time. I've seen people make quite a few mistakes, and seen some folks who do some good things.

A) Keep your stuff together, I've seen people's masks, gloves and booties shift down several places from where they were from disorganization.

B) I've seen people pay $400+ to go out to the Gardens and then skip dives when they're not sea sick and say they like night dives. These people just want to have a beer instead. You paid $400+, go get what you've paid for.

C) If you get sea sick, let someone on the crew know so we can try to help you out and keep an eye on you.

D)If both boats are out, when you come up to the down lines to do your safety stop, look at the hull above you, you may be on the wrong boat. The Spree has "Spree" on the hull in 8 foot black letters.

E) If you need or want something from the galley just ask, we might have it and we're there to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.

F) Listen to the briefings on the way out on the first night. They're important. I've seen people sleeping and nodding off during the briefs. Then they end up asking questions that have already been covered during the briefings.

G) When you're getting your food rom the line, please don't be a hog. I promise you won't go hungry. Give everyone else a chance to go through the line. Come back for seconds and thirds if need be, theere may be something that wasn't there before.

If I come up with more I'll add to this.

Allot of this should be thoughts for life, but we won't go into details. I'll just leave it at that. :)

Some people don't appreciate my candor, or perhaps it'y my free thinking on some subjects. Or rather they prefer that I keep my opinions to myself on some things. I cannot, nor will I even try to please everyone. I'll never be Mr. Congeniality!

TeamWaldenDiving:
Some people don't appreciate my candor, or perhaps it'y my free thinking on some subjects. Or rather they prefer that I keep my opinions to myself on some things. I cannot, nor will I even try to please everyone. I'll never be Mr. Congeniality!

TWD - Great post! I had the pleasure of diving with the M/V Fling the last part of August and it was great! I did get a little sea sick, thought the ginger pills would work for me, they didn't. But that is Ok, because the diving was great and it was the only time I did not feel sick. I did eat the food and it was great!! And maybe the sickness was a blessing, because I didn't pig out on the food. :eyebrow:

TeamWaldenDiving:

Good post but this one confused me. Are they having beers and then wanting to night dive or just deciding they don't want to do the dives and having a beer instead? There are times when I'm not comfortable with a dive and I opt out, seasickness isn't the only reason to skip a dive and have a beer (if that's your thing) instead. I'd rather have them on the boat with their beer than doing a dive they aren't comfortable with and ending up having an incident/accident.
Ber :lilbunny:

I think he meant "don't decide you won't dive because you want a beer, you paid to come dive". But an awful lot of people will decide not to dive for various reasons (fatigue, concern with vis or current complicating night dive) and put a front on it by saying they just wanted to relax and have a beer.

Me, I admitted the first day on the Labor Day trip that the prior 4 dives was enough for me that day (I'd never done more than 3/day before) .... so I was skipping the dive, and then BECAUSE I was skipping the dive, I let myself have a beer. But the beer wasn't the reason, my judgement of my fitness for one more dive that day was the reason.

Ber Rabbit:
Good post but this one confused me. Are they having beers and then wanting to night dive or just deciding they don't want to do the dives and having a beer instead? There are times when I'm not comfortable with a dive and I opt out, seasickness isn't the only reason to skip a dive and have a beer (if that's your thing) instead. I'd rather have them on the boat with their beer than doing a dive they aren't comfortable with and ending up having an incident/accident.
Ber :lilbunny:
I was saying that a lot oif people "Claim" their reason for not diving is that they want a beer. IMO I would rather go dive, come back and have a beer. I guess I just have a problem with people who aren't being honest with themselves, and thereore me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom