Thought I'd Share The (Non) Love

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tropicalwolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay, so after a couple years, I returned to a LDS with high hopes (okay, really just basic hopes, everyone knows my opinion on LDSs). I was there on Saturday to get an air fill. Guy working says $10. Cool. Then says the tank needs a Vis. No problem (my bad, afterall). I ask, "How much?" His reply, vis plus fill is $20. Cool, no problem. So I ask, "How much for a tank boot?" His response, $5. Cool, again no problem. For those keeping up my total is now approx $25. He then says it will be a few hours. Cool, no problem. He then says he is closing early. Well, okay, I'll just pick it up Monday. All is good.

Monday I arrive to pick up my tank and boot. Different person working. "I am here to pick up my tank and grab an additional tank boot." The tank boot is $10. The vis is $18, and the air fill is another $10. "I was told the vis + fill was $20 and the boot was $5." Nope, total charge $40 plus some change.

Won't be back. And people wonder why I hate most LDSs. As the acronym states, "Loves Divers Spending"

If I were in your shoes, I would have talked to the manager. It may have been a simple communication problem that could have been solved with a 3 minute chat and the manager's followup.

The guy on Sat was co-owner, the person on Monday was the other half of that co-ownership (I guess I should have said that). It does not get any higher up than that.

The guy on Sat was co-owner, the person on Monday was the other half of that co-ownership (I guess I should have said that). It does not get any higher up than that.
Recently checked out an LDS which advertises drysuits for sale and rentals. I asked to see the drysuit undergarments because I'm looking for one and this is why I went there. The guy gave me a blank look, showed me the wet suit skins and said these will work.
Gave me great confidence in his abilities, NOT!

I stand corrected.

I think most shops would have honored their original quote, I know we would.

We have our clients sign an estimated cost of repairs. This procedure clears up these kind of problems.

Then we have them sign a statement when they pick up their gear " Have tested and examined this equipment and agree that it has been repaired and serviced to my satisfaction. "

This procedure drasticly minimizes our clients having post repaired gear problems!

I'm going to assume by the quote "after a couple years return to LDS..." that this is a shop you don't frequent very much. You probably have reasons why as outlined by your post.

I'd hate to have people lump all LDS's into the same 'bad' category of hate and online vendors are automatically all "good" and full of love. If we did the same to people we would be accused of stereotyping and racism.

I have a few places I like to get my scuba gear from, both online and from brick and mortar LDS. I really like my LDS because it has become as much a social venue as a business venue. The LDS often charters dive boats and has group dives for its customers. I know both owners by name, and often get discounts on gear and rentals. I was diving with a friend once and had rented two tanks. We decided to do another afternoon dive that same day and when we went back to switch out tanks they gave us the afternoon tanks for free. I know that if I had told one of the owners that I was quoted a different price I would have received the previously quoted price.

It's more about customer service. Make your customers happy and they will keep coming back. Upset them and you lose a customer forever. And, you will hear more from one unhappy customer than 100 happy ones.

Last edited:
I am now down to two (even remotely in my area) that I "trust." The only one I really liked closed back in 1994. I'll stick to buying most everything online.

For those keeping up my total is now approx $25. . . . The tank boot is $10. The vis is $18, and the air fill is another $10. "I was told the vis + fill was $20 and the boot was $5." Nope, total charge $40 plus some change. Won't be back. And people wonder why I hate most LDSs.
So, if you have now dealt with the two (co-)owners, why didn't you simply ask / go back to speak with the owner you originally dealt with? If he was the one who quoted the price you agreed to, why not simply ask him to make the situation right? This situation seems a bit odd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom