Those little accessories that make diving better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are those little accessories you own that make diving better? Just the little things that help. In my limited experience, I have found that there isn't an unpleasant aspect of diving that cannot be fixed with either better skills, or the right use of gear or the right piece of kit.

For example, after 6 months of extreme nagging, I finally relented and bought my wife those spring straps for her fins (and mine while I was at it) - they are fantastic, previously we would always be fumbling about until our fingers bled (mild exaggeration) with those Mares plastic buckles.

The second thing is a 'Jax' mouthpiece we came across when diving in the Med - it molds to your teeth and stays put totally effortlessly with zero jaw fatigue.

What similar examples do you have?

Combination slate/compass on a retractor that sits in my BCD pocket for the rare time I'll use either one.

A second vote for spring strap fins, they slip right on and are almost "break proof".

Off the top of my head....

1. Buddy line - great for low viz - converts to jon line quickly - a loop around a tank valve and it is perfect for towing a panicked diver - easily used to secure gear when diving from a boat with no ladder (or a weak one)

2. Snorkel keeper to hold the octo.

3. Snap bolt on console.

4. Doc's vented Pro Plugs

5. Socks folded down over the top of my boots when beach diving (keeps sand out of boots).

6. Fishing bobber clipped to flag line about 4 feet from the reel (keeps the line out of my tank valve).

1. Fin grips. Three-way straps worn over the ankle, heel and instep to secure full-foot fins in choppy waters:
attachment.php

2. Drysocks. Thin drysuit-style ankle socks sealing against the calf and worn over woollen socks to keep feet dry and warm. Lycra socks or rockboots over the drysocks protect them from wear and tear:
OS11-01.jpg
sock.JPG
Latex-socks-L.jpg

Latexsocken_300.jpg

Waterproof duffle for stuff on the boat. Nice to have a dry shirt to change into after diving. I like the Watershed brand for it's ZipLock closure:

Watershed Chattooga Duffel Bag

Henrik

Oh, wow, who makes finkeepers in all those COLORS? This is a must-have.

Spring straps rock. The Deep Sea Supply attachment for the garden hose, to flush inflators, is a fabulous gadget. In fact, the Accessories portion of the DSS website has all kinds of clever things, like hose hats and inflator service tools. And DSS boots for my gauges was a huge step forward.

Lights with Goodman handles aren't an accessory -- they're a critical piece of kit!

As many others did, I started out buying a Cobra (console computer) w/a compass (SK-7) attached -- mistake made, not in getting an SK-7 but in having it attached to the Cobra. I eventually took if off the console and put it in a DSS boot which goes on my left wrist and makes it useful -- and it's a good thing to have a useful compass sometimes.

X2 (or more) on the spring straps -- likewise fin keepers (which do a good job of keeping my drysuit attached boots from ballooning and kicking out of my fins).

X-shorts when I'm diving in warm water using a wetsuit -- they easily add pockets (and add pockets to any exposure protection w/o attached pockets).

Not to be too "DIR'ish" but, honestly, using the "donate primary/bungied backup" is so much nicer than the "traditional" keep primary, donate octo (where is it now?). I use an Airsource system as my pool gear which means I donate my primary when doing airshares. Two nights ago, I was doing airshare exercises which meant I donated my primary and used the Airsource -- and that meant I couldn't move my head anymore because of the stiffness, and length, of the hose. The bungied backup would have been so much nicer and, of course, when I was through with the exercise it just means opening my mouth and the backup reg goes right back to where it is supposed to be -- none of this fiddling around putting it back in a snorkel keeper (VERY hard to do when wearing dry gloves) or some other octo holder.

Oh, wow, who makes finkeepers in all those COLORS? This is a must-have.

They certainly were a "must-have" for underwater hockey players, who liked to wear fin grips in colours that contrasted with the colour of their fins. Several years ago I successfully ordered yellow and red versions online from the French Underwater Hockey Association at 10 Euros a pair. They were imported from a company called "Zero Diving" in South Africa, which seems appropriate, considering that South Africa is known as the "Rainbow Nation" :). Sadly, fin grips are now no longer in production anywhere in the world in any colour other than black.

Back
Top Bottom