This will open the door to a lot of dive opportunities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The car rental companies are having a stroke. (I heard at a party)

I'm sure the SWATHs wil be terrific - as I mentioned, Austal is one of the premier shipbuilding companies in the world, maybe the premier. They have had SWATHs running out in Hawaii for years now. That is some awesome technology.
The hydrofoils failed because they broke down all the time. The same thing happened both times the US Navy built hydrofoil fleets. But they do look so cool gliding across the water.
There was a Barbers Point Deep Draft Harbor-Honolulu Harbor ferry that was gorgeous -it left an unreal 10-foot wake, so if you were offshore fishing, you got hit with a mini-tsunami. I got slammed a few times while they were gliding into Honolulu Harbor, and it was a wall of water just slamming into you. It was fun when you knew it was coming though.
The intro fares were $3.00 one way. After the intro period, I guess they held on for a little while, but they just didn't have any local business - it was all tourists.
So maybe this ferry will work - Senator Dan Inouye killed Mid-Pacific and Discovery(?) Airlines by ensuring that they didn't get permanent gate rights.
Now that a Republican is actually governor - the FIRST since statehood in 1959, maybe the ferry has a fighting chance. I didn't see any Hawaiians on the Board though, and this might be a problem down the line.
John Lehman is no pushover, but he never butted heads with the Ohana either.

I fully expect this to be a huge cash drain on the state. it will have to subsidised a bunch! That being said, I'm planing on trading the Jeep for a full size van with a skiff on the roof and camping capabilities inside. Hope the harbor in Kawahi is ready soon to. Be nice to run to the big isle for some fishing/camping/diving.....

Wasn't it just a year ago they showed up on Maui with a ferry that would connect the islands. They allowed people aboard? Am I insane or right?

I'll wager the eventual fees will be close to airfares.

The prices are on the website. It will cost 50 bucks+ for you to take your car with...one way. For a person the charge starts at $42 or so...again, one way.

Was it only last year Al? I thought it was 2 years ago...

I for one am really looking forward to it coming (have been for several years now) it will be so nice to be able to take my truck interisland... No more needing rental cars or hotel rooms :D Can't wait

kidspot:
I for one am really looking forward to it coming (have been for several years now) it will be so nice to be able to take my truck interisland... No more needing rental cars or hotel rooms :D Can't wait
I'm looking forward to what it will do for freight shipments between the islands. Right now the choice is generally paying lots for air freight, or putting up with the hassles of Young Brothers. Hopefully they will have something kind of equivalent to the Greyhound bus package services.

Charlie99:
I'm looking forward to what it will do for freight shipments between the islands. Right now the choice is generally paying lots for air freight, or putting up with the hassles of Young Brothers. Hopefully they will have something kind of equivalent to the Greyhound bus package services.

Serious freight competition will be a bonus. I'm really looking forward to when they get the second boat in and start doing the Big Island regularly. We do have Costco and Lowes/Home Depot, but after that it gets bad if you want electronics and such. If the ferry was operable right now we'd be over to Oahu every 4-5 months just shopping.

I'm really hoping the ferry system flies this time. I'm thinking that population bases on the outer islands have grown by 25-30 percent since the last real attempt, between that and the growth in tourism to the outer islands, hopefully it'll stick this time.

I have a feeling that the airlines will really lose a lot of business... and even though I get sea sick easily, I'm planning on the ferry myself - So many benefits, and luggage luggage limits on the airline have gotten so small it's made travel with dive gear, when diving isnt' the primary reason for a trip (I know... gasp!) that it's really hard getting everything under the weight limits now...

Back
Top Bottom