This Sat at Cat - kinda cool, kinda funky

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Went out to the island on the Psalty V (sweet guys, cool hang, top drawer DVD selection!) Saturday afternoon. This was a trip set up by my LDS, SSA in Montclair (good guys, cool hang, excellent taste in hand-rolled cigars...) and was my first time on this boat.

Several students on board, so we went to the Quarry. This is a semi-protected cove with some interesting geography, as there is flat sand on one end, moving to tumbling hewn boulders, to a rock slide then a steep wall. There are a couple of cool pinnacles rising from the depths, and some other interesting stuff. Its a really calm site - or it was on this day and every other time I've been there.

It was one of those mellow dive days, you know? We went over mid-day (left San Pedro 2:45 PM) so its not the typical up-at-dawn affiar, haul a$$ down to the landing, etc... very, well, mellow. After the crazy month that July was, and August is becoming, it was nice to be one six-pack and just chill. Got back at about 11:00 PM.

It was HOT. No breeze to speak of, so the air was HOT. Surface temp was 70! 20 fsw was 66, 30 fsw was 64...and then BOOM. There was a thermocline sitting right at 30 feet. From 31 - 60 it was in the mid-50's. It was there all day for the 2 day dives, and even into the night dive. It was dirty and muthah-cold from 31 - 60 fsw, and then you hit 30, and it was clear and warm.

I've heard about these hard horizontal 'clines, but this is the first time I hit one that was more than a few degrees warmer. The shimmer was so distinct, you could see it from 5 or 6 feet away. This was, in some places, a full 10 degree shift. That's pretty bone jarring on the way down, but on the way up. its almost hot-tub esque.

It was easy to hold depth... keep my folded hands in the freezer, and my face in the jacuzzi and I was at 30 fsw with no issues!

LOTS of big lobster on the night dive... they're taunting us. Saw a Sheephead that had to go 15 - 20 lbs...just hanging in a cave. Its the biggest one I've ever seen - tail like a broom. Lots of angle fish...just a mellow day.

I need some of these mellow days sometimes. I get too intense, and sometimes forget to just have fun down there. We did the same dive three times (at 3 different depths) and saw different stuff everytime.

Good boat, good hosts, good friends, good diving. Great way to start the weekend. Monday's suck.

K

in that same general direction Saturday am. Fortunately, both of my dives were shallow, and I was well above the thermocline in the 64-66 F range, close to shore. Surge was virtually nil, and we even had decent viz -- hard to say due to the plentiful kelp. I even fed an abalone.

Sounds cool. What, did you break up a garabaldi with the back of your knife?

KIDDING everyone.

How does one feed an ab?

How does one feed an ab?

Place a piece of kelp down near the mantle, it'll come out and grab the kelp and start eating it (sucking it in)

Here's a pic I took after doing it...

ab.jpg

Not just an ab, Chris, an ab with a nudibranch! Cool!

And, yes, Mo2, I did exactly as Chris described. The kelp just disappears.

who knew.

Thanks folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom