This might be a dumb question but...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Jay

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a brand new Dive Rite 905 Drysuit with Latex seals. I need to trim them.

The instructions say to trim them using the rings on the latex as a guide. HOWEVER, these rings appear to be on the inside of the seal?

When i trim, would it cause any harm if i were to invert the seals (turn them inside out) and trim them that way. I know inverting them won't cause harm (i am not that dumb). It just seems that if they were inside out and trimmed that way it would come out cleaner and more accurate.

Any input, any tips?

I don't know about dive-rite specifically, but when I was in the coast guard we used Kokatat drysuits and we did turn them inside out to trim.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, ensure that you trim between the rings not on the rings.

CD_in_Chitown:
I don't see why it wouldn't work, ensure that you trim between the rings not on the rings.

Thats a good point, that would cause a leak from the beveling correct?

You may want to try stretching the seals first....use some cans for the wrist seals and a tank for the neck....leave them that way for a week then try it. You may not even need to cut them.
Yarg

what tstonedvr said is what I did - if you do end up cutting, do only 1 ring at a time - amazing how much it actually does take off. I ended up cutting one ring off my neck seal and it went from very tight to just right. Patience :D

Aloha, Tim

tstonedvr:
You may want to try stretching the seals first....use some cans for the wrist seals and a tank for the neck....leave them that way for a week then try it. You may not even need to cut them.
Yarg

Great advice.
Unless the wrist seals are so tight that your hands become numb and pain is an issue, I would not trim them. Same goes for the neck seal. Now . . . I'm not advocating that it is OK to be so thight that you pass out, but, being a bit uncomfortable for the first few dives may be worth trying as they will loosen up in due time. Too loose and you'll be burping air from the neck. That's the first sign that the NS is too loose. If it leaks at the neck, IMHO, don't dive with it.

Just my $0.02

D

Unfortunately, stretching it will not work lol. Its tight now to the point where i could lose blood flow to the brain severly.

I am a bodybuilder who is 5'10" 215 lbs. with a 32 in. waist. My neck is 18.5" lol. The wrist seals aren't too bad though, i might try stretching them with a full soda can or maybe some PVC pipe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom