This MAY sound crazy...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys!

Let me tell you, you all are missing diving up here in 64 degree quarrys! Yum! AND its ALMOST freaking JULY!

I know many of you are plugged in with local dive shops. I am seriously considering purchasing a dive store down in Florida. I've been looking on line, and making some calls to the shop owners I do know.

If it wouldn't be a problem, if anyone hears of anything or maybe knows someone who may know someone, could you PM me?

My thanks!

Are you kidding me? I have a SLEW of ideas for the business. And, I will hook you up Trogg! :eyebrow:

I'm serious about this! I appreciate everyone keeping an eye open! I have business realitor also looking for me. Plus, of course, I continue to pour over the web looking for opportunity!

You are just a little late, the dive shop I used went out of business around October. He was located in Brooksville. He blames the slow ecomomy for not enough sales to stay open.

It seems to me that if you are buying a business making money the owner will charge a hefty price, if you are looking to buy something 'underperforming' then you have an uphill battle to survive in a poor economy.

Have you considered starting from 0? Of course this would require a large cash or credit outlay for equipment but this is probably the easiest to accomplish.

If this intersts you, I could inquire if the former dive shop owner would help you get started in the business. He and I are pretty good friends.

Hey Salmonboy!

I'm serious, and I know it's a rough track because of the economy. I just read a interesting article entitled, "Want To Make A Million Dollars Owning A Dive Shop? Start With Two Million Dollars!"

I thought this stat was interesting, it stated that 70% of people who become certified dive instructors, stop teaching within the first year. Also, it discussed how shops will slash prices to gain business, essentially cutting their own throats. Plenty of other great tidbits of knowledge and insight.

I have other people interested in doing this with me. Infact, diving would only be part of the business we are thinking of doing. We want to be diversify into some other areas!

If you have time, I'm always interested in feedback! Please shoot me a PM, I don't want to bore other readers on the forum! Thanks again!

I think many of the SB faithful would support you.

However I'd ask that you sign something stating you would not accept money from the government in the event you need some sorta bailout. I can waste my money other ways. :wink:

LOL! :eyebrow:

The concept of what I want to do is probably not that unique, but I don't see many dive shops in FL doing, well, THESE THINGS! Actually, not any of them.

I'll keep all appraised, and give very nice Scubaboard discounts. :shocked2:

Anyways, seriously, if anyone hears of anything, please let me know!

Todd

Hey Boats there was a guy down on South Dale Mabry that had a shop for a short time. He never managed to get it off the ground. I don't know any more than that. I think Miss D new him. A few of the members went in there so they might have more info.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom