This is funny... or is it more?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was thumbing through the latest issue of Diver Magazine when I noticed this:

upload_2017-10-14_10-49-29.png

I just ASSumed that the "Art of the Steal" headline would be about the photo, given the similar appearance to the Atomic Cobalt computer that has been out since early in this decade.

upload_2017-10-14_11-10-42.png
They are pretty similar., ya think?

But then I remembered that Atomic and Oceanic are owned by the same parent company now, Huish Outdoors. I also remembered that the computer division of Oceanic's parent company was sold to Aqua Lung. Hmmm, so are we really looking at the Cobalt 3? Could they have decided to introduce it at Oceanic first since their distribution network is larger than Atomic's?

Any chance that we can get @RonR to spill the beans?

The PPX is not the Cobalt 3, there is no relationship. It was a long term development by Oceanic / Pelagic, obviously in response to the Cobalt. I first saw renderings about 5 years ago (Cobalt came on the market 7 years ago). Apparently Oceanic was unable to actually bring it to market until after the acquisition by Huish Outdoors. From what I have seen it's quite nice looking physically, but a good deal less sophisticated in terms of firmware, planning capability, and so forth. Development on the next generation of Cobalt continues through Atomic...

Ron

The PPX is not the Cobalt 3, there is no relationship. It was a long term development by Oceanic / Pelagic, obviously in response to the Cobalt.

That was my first thought, which is why I was so entertained by the "Art of the Steal" headline next to the PPX photo. Editors at Diver Magazine must have a sense of humor! I couldn't help but think of these sayings:

Form follows function, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and No good deed design goes unpunished unstolen.

Apparently Oceanic was unable to actually bring it to market until after the acquisition by Huish Outdoors.

I'm confused. I thought that AUP (parent to Oceanic, Hollis, etc) sold Pelagic Pressure Systems division (PPS developed and made the computers) to Aqua Lung before Huish purchased the remaining divisions. I also understood that AUP and Aqua Lung had an agreement that Aqua Lung/PPS would private-label computers for Oceanic (and Hollis?).

I would have guessed that the a version of the PPX would also be sold by Aqua Lung (not on their site) like they did with the all black i750TC and the chrome VTX version computers.

I have to admit, I would copy the Cobalt if I were a competitor. I would also do my best to skirt around Liquivisions' patents on the acoustic pressure transmitters and replace all the radio-frequency wireless versions. From the perspective of a consumer, I hope PPS copied the Cobalt interface too. Oceanic/PPS' interface was/is terrible (IMHO).

Back
Top Bottom